This may be a no-brainer, but we might get some surprising responses.

What's your best time to be out on the snow? For me, its gotta be getting up early and being the first to make tracks on the snow, on a blue sky day after we got 50cm the previous night.

Awesome.

From about 11:30. That allows time to get warmed up and into the mood. Scoff a Snickers at 11, see everyone else disappear for lunch, and ride like hell till 1 pm. After lunch is usually not good, but beginning to hit another peak at 3.

First run of the day for me too.

I think Ocean is referring to the "lunch break" that 99% of Japanese take as a rule between around 11:30-1:30. The slopes are often much less busy then, while the restaurants are heaving.

S'right frannyo. Even the main courses are still good to ride at 11, especially with no-one on them. Mix a bit of off-piste and on-piste, and you can be king of the hill.

That 'first tracks' thing is too ephemeral to be really enjoyable. If that's your mindset, then everything else after 9 am is going to be only second best.

Hi all

Lunchtime is a good time like Ocean and frannyo said - most people are queueing for lunch round about that time so it's a good time to get some decent runs in.

Agree with you there Miyatek- no one can see you either which is a bonus. It's great doing the same run over again and seeing your lasrt tracks disappear. The other good thing is that you know it'll be primo the next day as well. Plus there's no need to hurry so much cause it'll never get tracked out.

I don't know about blizzards, but riding in steady snowfall is nice. All the times I've been boarding, I've only experienced snowfall once, but it was good. It's quite atmospheric, and it keeps the ground in good condition.

First thing for me too. I'll take blizzards too. keeps most folk off the hill replenishes the snow faster than you can ski it out and makes it nigh on impossible for the ski patrol to find you!

• 2 weeks later...