This is kinda snow related - my teaching contract finishes at the start of August, I want to go to S.America but I still have a few debts hanging over me which means I'd have to live with the parents for a couple of months at home (the asshole of nowhere) to save more cash. However, by the time I escape to S.A. I will have missed their winter. Before I didnt think this was a problem but now I'm realising I might get withdrawal! I was thinking about moving up to Hokkaido for 6 months, trying to find work with a private english school and still being able to get my snowfix. Does anyone live in Hokkaido? Sapporo? Would it be possible to find a job for 6mths max (shorter would be preferable) Had way too much fun the past couple of years and just havent been hoarding enough cash. Advice/words of wisdom/job offers/money making schemes/donations all welcome wave.gif

Any suggestions for job websites, aside from Dave's esl? Cheers Toque, I need some good luck or a shitload of cash! It would be a dream to live within walking distance of the slopes - anyone in that position?

Thanks! I know realistically i dont want to stay more than 6 months, just long enough to get cash together and have lots of snowaction, but i feel shit about just bailing on a contract. How's that work in Japan? Are your colleagues still uber polite to you despite you obvious lack of team spirit?

I'm looking for some recommendations of places, right now my closest slopes are nagano, but thats 7 hrs away. Nice city/big town close to the mountains? Does it exist? How about Sapporo? Also, any good companies to work for would be helpful - I'm on jet so out of the loop. cheers!

if youre on JET you will most likely take a big pay cut as your typical eikaiwa job pays 250,000/month.

There are many good jobs in sapporo, I looked up there when I was working in Niskeo and thought I would stay in Sapporo but ended back up in Hiroshima...

To find a really good job in Japan you need to have been looking last Fall and interviewing over the winter as jobs here start in April. Since its late in the game I would say go for a crappy eikaiwa job like Novacation, Aeon, ECC, Geos or the likes. One good thing with those schools is you would be able to get first tracks in the morning and then work from like 1-9 or whatever it is.

I think bailing on a high school is much harder on the school than an eikaiwa. I talked a good mate out of bailing on one job, but had another mate bail, move to Niseko, and land any blokes dream job. eikaiwas are use to it and have a pool of candidates, unlucky souls if you will, to choose from; high schools dont usually have many people quitting in the midst of contracts and if they do it would definitely be more of a headache for them.

chaotic, my advice is to stay here until early July 2006 and then go directly to SA for the peak of their season. This way you'll get almost a year to cane it saving here, and, you'll be able to have another full season. The only downside I can see is that you may want to hit SA earlier to get set up for the season.

There are plenty of locations,aside from just Sapporo,which are close to great mountains.As far as I can tell Nagoya has good work opportunities and it's close to Gifu/Nagano.

fresh powder every morning - sounds perfect! whats the deal with the novacation - how soon do i need to apply? do u get any benefits or r u pretty much on your own?

choice of cities

sapporo, niigata, nagano

where do u rate?