Hi, we are new in here and wish to have some advice!

We have 2 children, one is 6 and the other is 4. We are planning to teach them "How to ski" coming winter.

Can you recommend any ski resorts or cross country slopes in Nagano or Niigata area for our children?

Thanks!

I'm thinking of teaching my 4 year old to snowboard this season, so I'm interested in the same thing. Friends of ours often go to the Shiga Kogen area because kids can use the lifts there free (all resorts I think).

Maybe SJG can confirm this...

Some of the resorts there also ban snowboarders, but you wouldn't want to bring your kids up in such an unnatural environment tongue.gif

The NASPA place is good for children, and had 2 new zealand ski instructors based there last season. My friends and I took our kids up there one weekend, there were quite a few English speaking families up there.

They also don't allow snowboarding, which is either good or bad.

Very nice place, rather posh, and not cheap.

http://www.skijapanguide.com/2002/places-to-stay/viewhotel.php?hotid=16

I hear that Hakuba highland resort is really good with kids. It serves as a place for a lot of parents who can safely leave their kids there while they head of to somewhere more challanging. Tsugaike also has a large area of extremely gentle slopes which would be perfect for kids learning while allowing you to sneak in some turns for yourselves. Tsugaike also has the bonus of the town being located right at the bottom of the resort.

Hi Ocean11 and everyone else interested!

We have been in contact with Shiga Kogen and heres the response;

All mountain ticket (lifts, gondolas, ropeway, shuttle bus)

4500 adults

2300 children (6-12 years)

Children not yet going to elementary school (<5) go for free if they are with an adult.

Hope that answers your question.

[This message has been edited by Ski Japan Guide (edited 13 September 2002).]

Great, thanks!

---

I often wonder about this taking money for children, who are still children, after a certain age.

I used to go to a public pool with my boy and it cost 500 yen. When he turned 4, his presence in the pool suddenly warranted the payment of 300 yen, making what was a pleasant father & son morning's exercise an unjustifiable expense. So instead of profiting handsomely by jacking up the price suddenly, they've lost income.

People who take their kids snowboarding suddenly find family trips an altogether more expensive event when their kids hit that arbitrary mark. It's not as if the children start earning at 6.