Hello, I am new on the forum.

Moved to Tokyo 5 months ago for work. Surfing Chiba and Ibaraki has been a terrible experience so I am taking up skiing (and hiking) as my official life in Japan lifestyle.

I stopped skiing 10 years ago and it appears that gear has changed A LOT since then. I no longer own anything and need to buy it all. I suppose my first question is are there any english speaking skiing shops in Ochanomizu? After 5 months of tuition I am not confident enough in my Japanese to survive the technicalities of buying boots etc.

Also, I am excited about skiing again, I love the 'smell' of the snow country. Am I going to be in for a nasty shock re. the time it takes to get to the slopes on saturday morning and the crowds I will find when I arrive? The shinkansen looks great but in a city of this size I suspect a lot of other people think the same!

Choose well and I think you're in for an amazing time.

You can be on the slopes in less than 2 hours from Tokyo, with a bit more time needed if you want to check out Nagano.

From what I've heard, crowds are so much less of a problem than they used to be in Japan.

Can you get out in the mid week? If so, you're in for a treat.

Over to some of the veterans out there >

Thanks for the reply!

This will be my first time skiing in a country that gets 'real' snow. Australia was fun, but it just isn't an alpine nation.

I forgot to add to my first post - I am after skiing equip. not boarding. I have surfed for 20 years but still would prefer to ski than board, dont know why. I think that the huge carves you can do (as seen in videos) in powder look great but how often do you get that powder? Groomed trail boarding left alot to be desired when I tried it 10 years ago (when it was almost illegal).

I was the same, worried about lift lines and the rest. But I have had an amazing time in Japan in winter.

I usually went to Hakuba for 3/4 days at a time, and hardly ever experienced overcrowding - go on a Monday and you have the slopes to yourself, even at the big places.

Cheers!

deebee, you get that powder everytime you go if you go after it snows. You probably don't always get the same space that you see in the vids, but luffing through the pow between the trees is great too, and calls for more skill.

But hey, skiing has its devotees...

Ok this sounds stupid but dont by anything now!!!!

Wait. if you have some Japanese friends get them to surf yahoo Japan with you and buy stuff online. My buddy got me 2 pairs of skis and bindings for less than 60000 yen last year everything a year old new or used. boots go to a shop any big one go with one of the soft new boots as you are just getting into it again they are perfect for you. They are all the rage for comfort and performance. Ski clothes go to Alpen in about 2 weeks to a month big chain store everywhere and you can get a jacket and pants for 4000 yen a piece and up. remember we layer now so go to Uniqlo and get the solar felece pull over and pants got mine for 1000 yen each. gloves again sales a plenty but the cheaper you go the colder your hands. What I do buy cheap and pay 100 at the local 100yen store for small strechie gloves on cold or wet days. hope it helps if your smart you can outfit fot 60000 man if you dont have anything.

I spent a lot of time last season ripping costly layer after pricey layer out of my expensive HH mitts as my hands were simply too hot. Finally I was only left with the covers, and was still too hot.

I wouldn't bother buying lots of layers until you've found out how hot you can get...

Right on once again Ocean. Too many layers is worse than not enough. You sweat like a bloody pig and hiking makes it even worse. Gloves too can be a big problem. I reckon avoiding the ones with the real furry appearance of the inners is a good idea. I had a pair or Tri-lite Burton gloves but the inners were so thick that I had to take my gloves off on every lift I rode... even in Hokkaido! Thin inners are all you need.

When i talk layers i mean base layer not cotton. turtle neck again not cotton then thick or thin solar fleace gloves I pack in my jacket 1 cheap pair of glove liners and 1 slik pair. when my wife gets cold hands im prepared. I dress warm sometimes but I carry a mall pack always so I can peal off layers. The car is only for lunch never break on the mountain.

Recommend that you take a trip to Ogawamachi this weekend. It is in Tokyo pretty close to Tokyo station and Ginza. It is on the Teio Shinjuku Subway line. Ogawamachi is the skiing equivalent of Akihabara for electronics. Was up there yesterday and my buddy bought brand new last year Salamon X-Scream Pilot 10&bindings for Y60,000. They are the same model as this years and they are Y105,000 for this year. They have tons of shops up there. I recommend that you get some kind of all mountain ski - can do powder, bumps, hardpack, spring, etc. I would look for something with a sidecut in the 107-85-100 range. That goes from the tip-waist-tail. Japanese people really tend to specialize in skis as you will see if you go to Ogawamachi. They have a ton of shops up there. They also have a new Peet's Coffee shop up there - nothing like a little competition for Starbucks. Hope this helps.

Deebee you surf in Chiba and Ibaraki?!

I took up surfing last year and am haveing a great time learning how to drown.

I tend to go to Ibaraki a lot with my freinds and outside of the grid lock on the way home generally have a good time.

As far as skiing or boarding goes if the experiences that put you off surfing here are the crowds or the distance then not much is gonna change when it comes to the mountains I am afraid.

My suggestions go with everyone else, head off to Ogawamachi and check the shops out first. Also if you can get hold of some of the English mags like Powder or Transworld surf to brush yourself up on the latest trends in gear in the industry!

Good luck and if you need any help let us know! Think I could find some time to walk the shops with you.