Have I been looking in the wrong spots ? Why does a shop have 5 levels of gear and only 5 scone caps to choose from? I assume that the supply is a function of demand?

Same for gloves/mittens. Heaps of gloves, bugger all mittens. Gloves leak more as they have more (much more) seams.

Who here wears a helmet for boarding?

cheers

I, personally wish everyone to retain the right to do whatever they like when it comes to personal safety, lifestyle, etc. Anything that doesn't effect others.

Me, wear a helmet? only when events outside my control come into play, mountaineering mainly.

I kinda agree. If I choose to risk hurting my head that is my choice. Like you say, so long as it doesnt affect others. Also like you say - I would always go for safety when events out of my contril are at play. Like riding a sports bike - you cant assume that cars drivers see you and that is out of your control.

At this stage the ability to snowboard it out of my control, so I will be strapping on the 'mut.

cheers

A full-face helmet keeps your nose warm and offers good protection for the kind of face plants at which I specialize. It's a requirement for the other kinds of boarding I do where there's no soft snow. It also gives the impression that you're some kind of speed genius, which I most certainly aren't.

The choice of mittens in shops here is usually quite limited, and when they do have them, they're never long enough to cover your sleeves with a waterproof margin. Ones that friends have bought in the States and Canada look really good.

I'll never go up the mountain again without my lid. Once had a skier fly down the mountain through a crowd a crash right into me. His unprotected head hit my shoulder so hard it knocked him straight out and down the mountain on the ambulance and left me with a bruise the size of a melon. A worst case scenario could have seen our heads clash instead of the shoulder and who knows where I'd be now. The next oppotunity I went and bought a helmet. The moral of the story is you don't have to be the one to make the mistake to end up in hospital or worse. Wear a lid! It's much warmer than a beanie,too(tuk-if you're N.American)

Got myself a Giro Carbon pattern. started wearing mine 5 years ago after a bad drought in Dec. Had a bad feeling one day so I put on my old speed ski slash racing helmut. My friend then rolled over a rock. The helmut has never come off.

Actually I didn't want a fullfaced skid lid - I only got it coz I got it cheap in a closing down sale. But I'm glad I have it now. For riding in the undergrowth, it stops the twigs that would otherwise whip right across your chops.

i know that as soon as i don a `coconut protector`that`s tha day i hit a tree/rock with me head!

CASE STUDY:

i`d been surfin for about 15 years when i made me first trip to G-land, and i`d never worn a `brain bucket` before, but after hearing how hollow a wave it is, i decided to slip one on. low an` behold, first wave- headbutted tha reef! had to go in, slightly concussed. next surf, no `skull cap` and no accident. no accidents since either- touch wood! never worn one since, never gunna!

but i agree, try not to wear `em bcos tha more peeps who do, tha more peeps will be made to wear `em.

I am gonna stay way clear of full face and fixed visor helmets! Don't want my head ripped off when I just happen to misjudge the height of the tree branch!

Yeah, it's disgusting when you find helmets with the heads still inside dotted about all over the tree runs. First the helmet and its ghastly contents clunk along under your board, then you run into the body. Euuch! Happens all the time though.

:rolleyes:

Ocean, sounds like a scene from about any Japanese movie.

Helmets will soon be law I believe. Already you need them to run most competitions. The Advanced park at Whistler/Blackcomb now requires them too. I have a K2 that I run from time to time. Not particular to it though. I'll wear it on a huge pow day that I think could take me far into the back country. My buddy got saved big time on a jib day when a rail slide went bad and he smacked his head. Luckily he was sporting the lid that day.