Going to be near Sendai on Tuesday -- where to ski?

First of all -- fantastic site here. You guys do great stuff and I would be totally lost here without you =).

On to the point. I'm an intermediate/advanced lifelong skier in Japan for a trip with my non-skier wife. We've found a way for me to fit in a day or possibly a day and a half of skiing while she is visiting a client in Sendai next Tuesday (1 Feb 05).

I've looked over the list of resorts and reviews for Yamagata prefecture and noticed that the most popular resort (Zao Onsen) seemed to get somewhat mixed reviews. However, I'm guessing that for my one day of skiing it's still my best bet, especially since I'll be there on a weekday, hopefully avoiding some of the crowds. Or should I be considering one of the other resorts in the area instead?

My ski preferences are pretty simple, I like the longest, most advanced slopes I can find that don't have moguls on them. I can do some moguls but I am not a mogul skier and I would rather avoid them. I generally stay on the trails although of course I love fresh powder when I can get it. I will need rental skis/boots/poles. I do have my other gear (ski mask, etc.) with me. I've had very good experiences lately with mountains where boarders are not allowed (Alta) but I'm okay with boarders.

Thanks again for all your great reviews and information, I look forward to your advice!

-Scot

scot, how do you plan to travel while your wife is visiting a client? From Sendai Eki, Yamagata Zao is probably an hour and half by bus. There are other choices though. If you will be staying in Sendai you could check out Miyagi Zao (40 minutes) but not even close to the level of skiing that ZAO will provide you. As a skier, your best terrain will be ZAO (yamagata) without a doubt. If you want convenience, try Eboshi or even Spring Valley (both Miyagai)...all depending on your transportation capabilities. Yamagata Zao doesn't have many mogul runs. It seems like just what you are looking for. The snowmonsters are alive and well at this point. you could also look into taking a train to Hachimantai or Appi for the day. Anyway, I will be going snowboarding Tuesday so let me know if you'd like to hitch a ride with me.

Kintaro, thanks for all the info. We got a room at the accomodation listed here for Zao Onsen (Bokunouchi, http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/viewhotel.php?hotid=72) starting tonight (Monday) and my wife will take the bus & train back to Sendai on Tuesday (her meeting is not until noon). We're just heading off to the train for Yamagata from Tokyo now, so we'll be in Yamagata this afternoon where I will be trying to figure out where to rent skis. I think I'll have internet access at Bokunouchi and I'll check back on this thread later today.

If you're riding at Zao on Tuesday I'd love to meet up, I can't read Japanese at all so hanging around with someone who can would probably be very helpful =).

-Scot

BTW in case anyone reads the above -- I did not have internet access at Bokunouchi, oops. Had a good time at Zao though. Nothing real challenging but still had a great day of skiing with good powder on the slopes and more falling almost all day.

Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
Did you get to see the ice monsters?
I did actually. They were absolutely amazing. I'm glad I risked bringing my camera along that day. They were almost worth the trip just by themselves, with great skiing as a free bonus =).

-Scot