"Ratio of skiers/boarders this season changing...."

....in favor or SKIERS.

eek.gif

According to someone who works at Iwappara. My Japanese friend has a mate who has a condo at iwappara and goes every weekend. He was talking to someone over there who works on the ski hill and says that this year there seems to be a reversal in the trend, albeit small, with the number of skiers increasing.

What d'ya know? Seems the other way round to me at other places I have been to (haven't been to Iwappara ever...), but will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The return of a ski boom???

Nah, it's the onset of apartheit.

Skiers are congregating at certain resorts to get away from all those boarders who 'keep falling over' (boarders keep falling over because there are so many new ones, and you do fall over a lot the first season). Soon there will boarders' resorts and a handful of skiers' resorts.

What d'you think, gorilla?

I dunno, I have spent this whole season (my first) boarding. But now I am getting a bit sick of it. Its such a pain getting in and out of your bindings everytime you go thru a ski lift. So I am thinking about going back to skiing next season, maybe getting some of those short skis so I can still do jumps and stuff.

Theres also something a bit tragic about snowboarding and its hip image, but I cant quite put my finger on it. At the same time though, some skiers look diabolical in their garish pink and purple shellsuits. I think as you get older skiing seems more appropriate. When I see guys in the late 30s on boards it looks kinda lame in the same way as when I see guys in the late 30s wearing teenage fashions.

So my point is, I think it is possible that people are thinking in the same way as me - kind of maturing beyond snowboarding as they get older.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for some beers last night in Tokyo and one of my Japanese colleagues introduced me to his friend who worked in the sports retail business. Said that this season has seen a relative drop in the sales of snowboards and a relative increase in sales.

Put a bit more simply - ratio of skis/snowboards sold has shifted in favor this year in favor of the 2 planks.

Whether this guy knows anything or not is another matter.

Interesting anyhow hey?

I haven't noticed a significant number of beginner skiers this year. As ever, you see more far more little kids on skis than on boards, but among adults, there seem to be far more beginner boarders.

What we may have is a significant decrease in people taking up skiing and snowboarding as a whole. A lot of the skiers who go out are die-hard enthusiasts who've been skiing for years. Such people are not likely to give up soon, so if the number of new people going out fails to cover the number of had-enough-after-two/three-seasons-types, the proportion of skiers will increase, even if the actual number of skiers does not.

What gets sold may actually bear no relation to who is doing what at the gelende too. It could be that the board market was saturated last year, and it will take a while before people need new ones. Skiers may simply be upgrading now because new developments in skis attract them (gosh, the handles on these stocks are excellent, I must have a set!)

From what I saw this season, skiing is on the rise, but most of my sliding was early and late season, so more popular with the die-hards. Telemarking definitely on the rise, though, not a trip went past without seeing at least one other 'marker!

• 1 month later...

Probably been said before but I reckon boarders are still on the increase generally. Must be more than 50% of the total riding population by now.

• 1 month later...