Depending on where you are in Tokyo - I live near Atsugi City and it is about 275km and takes around 4 hrs without too much traffic. So I would think you should be able to make it there in that amount of time but depends on how long it takes for you to get out of the Tokyo area.

Around 350 via Toyoshina/147/148, 300 or so via Nagano/Olympic Road (31?). Tack on another 20 if you go to Cortina.

If you want to do it on the cheap, try the buses.

Alpico runs a service from Shinjuku to Happo One that also calls in at Hachioji and the towns between Hakuba and Toyoshina IC.

Now it's spring there are only two a day, but there are four a day in summer (hiking season) and in winter. One of the ones still left goes back to Tokyo from Happo at 15:30, which ain't at all bad.

A return (valid for one week) is 8,500. It takes four and a half hours o/w.

You can book it up here

https://www.highwaybus.com/

The Shinkansen/bus from Nagano option is faster but is going to cost you a lot more. Now it's April, a lot of the shuttle buses around Hakuba have stopped, so you may have probs getting around if you're not a car person.

If anybody knows any good Hakuba transport info, post it up here, will ya!

I take that bus all the time when I go and visit the big smoke. Its great - way more comfortable than the train way cheaper and its never crowded.

Theres only one problem - If you take it this time of year its fine but in the summer and winter season going back to Tokyo at the end of the weekend is a nightmare. Forget 4 and a half hours...its more like 8 and a half. So I'd recommend taking the bus out here but get the train home.

FYI - Theres also a night service in the summer/winter season. Leaves at 10:30pm from Shinjuku and arrives in Hakuba at 5:30am. Could save you accomodation on the Friday night.