Hey all...

just wondering if anyone has ever used shells?

*shells* being waterproof pants or jacket not thick but just to wear over the top of your cozy clothes?

A mate of mine used them found them to still let you get a bit soggy....

Has anyone else tryed them or do you all use fullon waterproof warm jackets and pants?

just a thought....! \:D

Same as miteyal on this one. Although I do have an array of jackets(none of course ski specific) that does nothing more than make the decision of whihc one to take a pian in the butt.

This year I am going to try my Fairydown Goretex shell with a Dianese Core Jacket(Armadillo back protector with elbow caps and soft protection along the arm and neck) made of windstopper fleece. Probably gonna be beacthly hot, but I am in an experimental mood.

yup...always use the shell...

its all about layering...

and a good shell will usually outlast a ski/board specific jacket (I think...)...

also I find I can move around easier by keeping layers thin than having more bulk...

danz

I had a look at a few last week. I found that some board specific ones have a few features (cuffs, press studs to link the powder skirt to the pants, loads of pockets) that I didn't see on the general mountain ones. With "board wear" makers like Burton, Sessions, and Blue Blood (the Japanese manufacturer Goldwin) all using GoreTex in their top of the range wear, is it still better to go with a recognized "mountain" brand (Marmot, North Face, etc.)? It's a lot to pay, so I'd like to get something good for my money.

Any recommendations anyone?

My Marmot has lots of pockets, all in the right place, very light for an alpine jacket. haven't seen Burton or the rest of the ski/board lines. Like to go backcountry and use my gear for all round mountain use, so the ol' favorites suit me well.

Maybe I'm just being a snob, but I like to stick to lines with history of performance. Burton for boards... but marmot, patagonia (North Face post takeover???) always perform well in the clothing department.

REally!?

man.... i didnt think any of you would wear them... they arent warm...??

odd here in Aus most people wear thick jackets and if anything just shell pants to keep the tracky pants warm!?

culture shock hey!