Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Telemarking=free heel skiing.
No, no, no, no. That is cross country skiing or ski jumping.

As I said, it is when annoying people call you at 8pm at home to try and sell you a product over the phone.

Well I for one am not in the least bit interested in reading your expletive-strewn posts day in day out, deebee.

One of the things that I really like about this place is the level of postings that it generally keeps up with. We don't need any dumbing down.

Quote:
sense of humour starved SJG team
Well thanks for that comment :rolleyes:

deebee:

We very very rarely edit or delete posts on the Forum. And we don't want to start doing it either.

However, on numerous occasions your postings have been brought to our attention by other readers of the Forum. It seems that the majority of people using the Forums simply do not want to read mails filled with unnessecary swearing/expletive/abuse.

If you are offended by the fact that we don't want the Forum to degenerate in that way, then you can simply choose not use the Forums and find another place that might be more accepting.

Otherwise, we welcome your posts and would really appreciate it if you would refrain from the over-used swearing, and the "humorous" thread topics that you have been posting (seemingly to test us) - as many of our users just don't want to see it, and don't particularly see it as being humorous at all.

Many thanks for your understanding.
Cheers
SJG

No, I wouldn't happen to be, deebee.

I have nothing to do with it. I'm just grateful we have the site that we do here, and love using the Forum. That's all.

JSG -

A few weeks ago I posted a silly topic that probably deserved to get deleted. We communicated about it and that was that.

However, I dont accept that people complain about swearing.... how could they?? the expletives are replaced with *** characters the moment they are posted by an automatic process. Also, a lot of words that quite simply can not be considered offensive are auto-replaced with *** so it makes it look like a really bad swear word was used when non was at all.

People may have complained about a swear word that was intentionally spelt incorrectly. I am certainly not the only person that has used this technique.

As for abuse... no, you are wrong. I have abused no one. I have poked fun here and there but abuse, no way. You are wrong.

As for the threads that I have posted to 'test' you. It is a free communication environment so I did post one that was an obvious dig at you for you humourless treatment of another member.

Personally, I think that my say it like it is attitude combined with the fact that I dont actually know anything about the sport of boarding has got up the nose of some people. I dont appologise for that. Also, my obvious lack of patronising fan-clubbing of some members may also have played a role in my generally disliked status.

I understand that 'swearing' is not appropriate. I will try not to for the sake of other members. But as for my personal style.... live with it, this is the internet and I wont change my personality to suit the tastes of your favourite little members.

Hi deebee

Thanks for the post.

About swearing - yes, believe it or not, we do get people complaining about it. Until recently there were only a very few words blocked, it is only very recently that we have added a few to the black list due to them appearing with increasing regularity.

About the abuse issue, that wasn't meant to be directed particulaly at you, but a general comment. Apologies for that ;\)

Yes, it is a "free communication environment". But we don't really appreciate people posting messages to "take a dig at us". If we must spend time moderating in that manner, the website would not exist. And as the people running this free site, we want to keep it just that way - so that everyone can freely post as they wish without loads of restrictions.

Nothing against your personal style. In fact, it is welcome.....

Thanks again and we hope you have a great first winter here

SJG

PS

There are no "favourite little members". The same position is applied to everyone, whoever they are.

One of the cool things about this place is that the talk on here generally is really interesting and there's not much of the rubbish that goes on in most internet forums.

It would be a shame if that were to change.

JSG - I appreciate the fact that you took back the accusation of me abusing people. I really was concerned about that.

regards swearing...I suppose some people have a VERY low tolerance for what many consider every day expressions. I wont list them here, but I am amazed that people are offended by them... they dont even have any sexual relation (as most expletives do). No matter, such is life.

Other points noted.

Thanks for the forum, as noted by myself in other posts and by many members, it is indeed a good quality resource.

Misia - sorry for hijacking your post with my warped and somewhat simple minded 'humour'.

Thanks for the mail again deebee.

There really are only a handful of words that are blocked on this forum - it seems that some people don't have tolerance for them at all and some people just don't really want to see unnecessary over-usage of them. Less than 5% of the people who read the forum actually post messages here, there's a lot of people reading and we do have to take that into account in general decisions.

Anyway, we hope you can understand the situation.

We hope you will continue to use and enjoy the Forum and site.

Cheers \:D

SJG

Personally I swear a lot, and would like to be able to swear online too.

But I've had the same exchanges with the people at SJG, deebee, and you have a point and they also have a point. If you go and look at some other snowboarding forums, they are sooo boring with nothing but crudities. It would be a shame if this board went the same way, and to prevent that there's just a bit of etikwet imposed.

I've really enjoyed your postings about all sorts of stuff since you found this place - I view surfing with a new appreciation. So I can only recommend we save our swearing and dicking about for the company of the horrible #$@ts we tend to hang out with offline and mind our P's and Q's a bit here.

Agreed.

Like we said, in over 3 years online, there have been only a handful of occasions when we have edited or deleted posts on the Forum. We do not want to come down hard on posting,far from it.....honest, and in general not that strict at all concerning posts ;\)

FYI, I've also enjoyed reading your posts, deebee.

Perhaps we could have a swearing competition at the SJG Christmas Party!

Thanks again.

SJG

A swearing competition you say!? That would be simply smashing!

I am looking forward to actually getting on a board (snow) so that I can actually talk about it on the forum. Until then, and after, I will indeed keep my P&Q minded.

I feel warm and fuzzy. Thankyou.

Ocean - regarding surfing, it is a cliche, but it is never to late to start start.

As for what is telemarking - it is just a type of skiing with only the toes of the boots connected to the skis. When I originally started about 12 yrs ago I had leather boots and three pin bindings. Now it has gone to hard plastic boots, cable bindings, and fat skis. Every year my setup gets heavier and more towards alpine.