Giant jellyfish with bodies the size of washing machines have turned up off the central coast of Japan in their largest numbers in decades..

The jellyfish, which are about a metre wide and weigh as much as 150 kg, began appearing in the Sea of Japan in mid-August, near Echizen, a town in the Fukui prefecture, Katashi Sugimoto, a prefectural fisheries official, said.

The species, identified as stomolophus nomurai, was first found in the Sea of Japan in 1920, said Toru Yasuda, a marine biologist formerly at Fukui University. It was originally discovered in the East China Sea.

But fishermen haven't caught the jellyfish in such large numbers since 1958, he said.

"We don't know what caused it (the population surge)," Yasuda said. "One possible reason is the abnormally warm water temperatures."

I should just point out that I was not being serious.

Warmer sea level = more precipitation? I think that is a yes and no... it depends where you are relative to teh warm currents and how they interact with the air temp.

El nino is caused by warm currents being where they normally are not. It has caused yet again a huge drought in Oz.

If all this proves to be true and the precipitation is lacking we can always try to do what this guy called Hatfield did in California. Make clouds that will dump! (In his case it was rain, but I am sure the same would work for snow.)

P.S. Saw this all on telly the other night.

Dump `em, baby! I saw the bad omen on NHK news last week too. They said their winter prediction/forecast for East and West Japan is, "dan-to-kei-ko," which translates roughly into warmer than usual winter. \:\( JUST LIKE LAST YEAR! But they also said Hokkaido wouldn`t be affected..so I`m planning to go up there at least 3 times.