Hakuba 47 is the best resort in deep powder as there are lots of steep off piste runs. Maybe still a little sketchy at the moment but the run from 47 to Goryu is sick, just pull out before you hit the dam at the bottom.

later

seando speaks the truth about 47/Goryu. . . Although I`m not sure if that dam run is open, matt, and zwelgen and myself rocked the off-piste a fair amount today - thigh deep and steep.

bang!

Im going to be grandpa and say watch out under the goryu gondola. That area is not controled. If you want to do it I suggest the ridges to give you and Idea of the snow settlement.

I have heard a lot of talk this year. With this site taking off like crazy this year, a lot of people will be tring things that look great and 90% of the time they are, but be careful.

Slides can happen in the trees too I have seen it. Be aware if you see signs of avlanches take heed and care not to go there. Dont be afraid to look for the signs read a book take a course.

Watch for terrain traps places where you get barried deep or have to hike out of.

Some of the places your talking about are 50 degrees and have cliffs in the trees that arent marked, take a slow relaxed run the first time to discover the area.

Dont cut hard above your buddy in exposed terrain in fact ride it 1 at a time. Give some space the more people on the snow the more load you put on could trigger something.

Dont ride in places by yourself where no one can find you.

Personally I like all of Hakuba great place 47 and Goryu for steep trees. Happo for wide open pow and making big jumps. Also great trees and BC around there. Cortina for cheap sking no lines and well go there and youll ski. Enjoy

I spent a happy day checking out some of the terrain at 47/Goryu today. Still heaps of pow left in the trees, and all over Iimori. But I also found myself in some drainage ditches, much to my surprise when what appeared to be deep powder suddenly gave way. I also did some unscheduled lobbing off retaining walls which was good fun and surprisingly successful. My mate also found some nice 20 cm sharp metal spikes poking out of the ground near the bottom of the quad going to the top of 47.

So going with somebody who knows what's where, and riding with a bit of caution is good advice.

Ocean thats the first time I heard you say something like that. Good now your thinking.

spot the gullies up top. you can Identify them cause they funnel done the mountain. stay to the side of the first gullie the side you wish to get out on. When you are getting out look around find the other outs and mark them with your eyes or flaging tape. early season and the snow is still settling into a solid base. The 47 quad run is the easiet way to get caught do the trees on the 2 sides of it they are good and dont gullie out.

Last year it snow so hard in hakuba I smashed into, got hooked on a buried snow gun in waist deep powder ouch