Well the long wait is over (geeze it's half way through December). After reading about all the good snow you guys and gals have been ripping I have finally got a day on the slopes under my belt. Snow has at long last come to the state of Washington. Mt Baker opened yesterday and I made the trek with some buddies early this morning. And what a sweet day it was. About 4 inches of fresh pow, a little wet, but not bad at all - especially considering 1 week ago there wasn't a white flake in site.

This was also my first day back on a board since I shattered my ankle last March. I was a little rusty for about 3 runs, but it came back quick. There was no pain but definite issues with range of motion. Hopefully that will come back. But I was forced to get used to it quick because I hooked up with some dudes early on and ended up hiking some BC and hitting some sick drops and POWDER TURNS!! Sure didn't expect that for my first day.

Ahhhhh, so nice. BTW back to that sex vs snowboarding discussion from a few weeks ago. Definitely better than sex.

Just wanted to share.

--------------------

2002/03 season days riding count: 1 - woo hoo!

It's great to get out and then have a good blather about it afterwards eh?

If there is in fact any equivalency between snowboarding and sex, then finding yourself headed down a concrete drainage ditch must be akin to finding the condom has turned into a skimpy willy-skirt.

My boarding count stands at a remarkable 3. Hope to get in a good nighter before I go back to Greyland.

heh - \:D - I`m at 13 to yer 1 holmes - but not to worry, the weather girl said that yer due for huge snowfalls and cold temps in the next few days. but alas lots of wind as well.

is baker as good as everyone says ?

Baker is pretty sweet. But unfortunately only a portion of the lifts were open yesterday. But there is some damn awesome terrain wherever you are on that mountain. And the backcountry is unbeatable in the lower 48. I though I would be forced to stick to the main runs because of the limited operations but the dude I hooked up with knew every inch and took me on some phat runs only a minute or twos hike out of bounds. If I was gonna stay in Washington this winter I would move up to Bellingham and make Baker my home for the season. But I am way more excited to be coming to Japan.

Liquid - right...maybe you're not snowboarding right ;\)

Ender0,

Nice to hear a story or two about Baker... I've had a lot of decent Elephant Snot days there though.. they still hand out those Mt Baker clear plastic trash bag ponchos to people for free on the really Snotty days... \:D

I had one epic run down the cut under the "Pan" chair on Volkl P10 RS 208cm GS skis once.. lived to tell about it anyway... although it's not a run just kinda jump, slide, jump, slide for 15 minutes... The buddy that directed me that way wasn't too happy when I caught up with him mad.gif

What's the report on Whistler??

Yeah, it's hilarious to see the little kids and parents riding the bunny slopes in transparent trashbags. What their gear isn't waterproof?

Whistler is looking good 53" (135cm) base. Park running at Blackcomb but no pipe yet. I'll be there Sat and Sun so I'll let you know firsthand next week.

Well I am back and caught up from my 3 nights in Whistler and then Christmas and my birthday the next day.

Here is a short review on Whistler for those that were asking. The snow was lacking. I have been to Whistler 5 times and this was the second worst the snow conditions had been. I have been earlier and it has been better. There was about 100-150cm with some patches getting more snow. Unfortunately it did not snow for a few days prior to my arrival nor did it snow while I was here. I was however able to get about two untouched lines on Blackcomb on a certain cliff band. There were a large number of rocks barely covered in snow, especially on the 7th Heaven face of Blackcomb. I really trashed my edges (okay because its last year's).

Day one (Sat) I rode Blackcomb all day with a good buddy. Hit the glacier for the first time (not sure why I haven't before...didn't want to take the T-bar I guess). Nice long run but there is a brutal toe side traverse and a skate out before you get to the long fun and fast cat-track out. Beautifully sunny day. Not at all crowded. No lift lines longer than a minute.

Day two (Sun) I hit up Whistler in the morning but it was way too crowded (30-45min lines). The runs at Whistler are pretty boring unless you have some fresh snow. Of the dozen or so days I have ridden Whistler-Blackcomb, this was only the second time I had been to Whistler Mountain. So after an hour or two we headed over to Blackcomb, where there were NO lines. I don't get it. But it was somewhat overcast and a little disappointing after the beauty of the day before.

The village was popping all weekend. That place is too fun. I noticed a real division between the locals and the tourists. Funny though because the majority of the so called locals are people form Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and other parts of Canada, that are in Whistler for the winter. Yet I am from Seattle, just a few hours drive from there. Anyway, I got to know some of the local Canadians and they were cooler.

Overall an awesome trip.