Is there a rush period when the runs suddenly get more crowded? Christmas Eve or Day? Or I suppose lots of Japanese don't have that as a holiday so it won't make much difference? So New Year is much the busier. Is that right?

I think there isnt a rush at christmas maybe a bit busier at night with all those couples out there being romantic. NYrs is a bit busier but I think that Feb is much worse with crowds. Just my 2 yen worth though.

It was supposed to be quite busy at the slopes last weekend(being a long weekend and all)but to my surprise the ski area I went to on Sunday wasn`t all THAT crowded(not complaining `bout that, though), even though it`s a pretty well-known place. But nothing compares to the New Year rush...watch out if you plan on hitting the slopes after the first of Jan!

Akibun - "merry" is just an old term that means happy or joyful that is not really used anymore. It was attached to Christmas a very long time ago and now is ingrained in our speech patterns. Saying Happy Christmas sounds a bit awkward but it is nothing to be worried about.

Merry Christmas