hey....

the whole time we were climbing we knew we were taking a risk. Saying that, we did do it as safe as you could without the gear...one at a time...avoiding obvious terrain traps....we even chatted with some of the avie courses going on at top...although I dont know much about avie, I am pretty confident in saying that that day was very stable...

anyway, kagura rocks!

danz

What made it stable danz?

Did it snow the night before? was it a cold clear night the night before? Was there a nice cornice drop?

seriously danz and co. you got to sort out the gear if your going to play the game. Im sure you can find a good deal. Rapi has shovels at 4000 plus probes too. the beacon is the sticky part.

Thanks fattwins.....guys, I didn't mean to offend or insult anyone. Having been a weekend warrior myself for a number of years, I just felt it was a tongue-in-cheeck way of describing weekend recreational skier/boarders - sorry about that........ ;)BTW, the amount of people coming on weekends will have zero effect on my being employed, because, I am not. I just go boarding... Look, I don't really care what anyone does. We are all grown ups here, no ? I guess the real point I was trying to make, was to just bring it to people's attention that the backcountry (including the relatively easy hike up to the top of Kagura, and ride down) can be a dangerous place. Accidents happen !! It is really a matter of minimising the chances that it will happen to you, and maximise the chances of being able to get out of those situations when they do arise

Ok, for anyone who is interested, the Kiwi guy I was talking about before has a NZ stage 1 ticket. His av courses are run over 2 days, 1 day theory indoors, and the second day being an on the snow demonstration including a snowpit dig and practice finding beacons. As I said before, I would recommend his course to anyone wanting to know more about av safety.

Again, sorry for any misunderstandings......see ya on the slopes....... \:D

Thats more like it I wish I had your job mate.

YOu are right about people not having the gear or skills to go some places but for the most part I think people ride within their limits.

I find the Japanese fad thing now is powder and not even thinking about it. ie

High wind snow coming day and a group of 10 skiers Japanese head out the back of tsugaike. I mentioned the wind and pointed to the lip off of the top peak that they were going to. I said look at that wind its loading that slope. they laughed and said ah so desu ne, iku ka.

Second 50 cm one day snow fall and a group of 5 skiers go again off the back of tsugaike. breaking the rule about 3cms per hour of snowfall. not only had the new snow not settled it was sliding on a sun crust. On a wind loaded slope they were looking for danger, and they didnt do any stablity test period.

So yeah Im with you on people being stupid.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

Second 50 cm one day snow fall and a group of 5 skiers go again off the back of tsugaike. breaking the rule about 3cms per hour of snowfall. not only had the new snow not settled it was sliding on a sun crust.
Fattwins, how do you keep track of cms of snow per hour? Just eyeball/guess it? Are you referring more to snowfall the past few hours, or as it's currently falling?

eyeballing is key but if you have 30 cms on your car over night then your looking at 50cms up high do the math. BC sking on new snow is usally where people get hurt. If it gets loaded on one side of the mountain then you rip down that unsettled line your looking at a large sluff or slab.