Date of visit: March 1, 2014. Early morning to 4pm

Snow Conditions: Early morning corduroy, turning quickly to crust, them melting to slush later. The groomers did their very best with what snow they've had, but it wasn't Top Dog quality by a long shot.

Ability Level: Improving/Intermediate, free run

Set-up: K2 Raygun161 (All Mountain Rocker), centered weight and 15/-13 angles (goofy), highbacks at 12.

~~~~~~~

I'll write a review proper if I can, but I'll just pop a few words and pictures here now.

Long story short, the resort itself is good, spacious, with a fun variety of runs and also off-piste paths. However, the snow is definitely sickly at the moment; the resort received a dusting at the end of the day, but I'm not sure it's sticking. Vegetation is starting to show. That said, on days where there is lots of pow, Takatsue can be great. I've been on a couple of pow days and it is beautiful. This year has been poor for snow. People are fewer than in other resorts, though. I prefer this, and had a good couple of runs on my own this morning.

Also, the lifts suck. As in, they tend to wipe people out frequently on the higher lifts because they go too fast or the ground isn't suitably cleared.

What I really loved were the top runs once the weather cleared up, and I could actually use my camera(phone) and the slush suited my stick more. As a relative newbie, riding a rocker on icy crusts when you can't break a carve is a pain. Literally. I just wish I could link the top runs with my favourite lower ones; flowing down a solid 5k run while being able to break into the trees and 180 off the banks would be amazing!

This is how bad the visibility was in the morning:

IMG_0725_zps196c2089.jpg

IMG_0724_zpsd6cbe235.jpg

This is a similar area after grabbing food at 10:30..

IMG_0687_zps684d55a3.jpg

IMG_0690_zps302e554d.jpg

IMG_0692_zps5f907d46.jpg

More people came after the weather cleared, but they also went back in doors after it all went sidways

IMG_0694_zpsae0755e9.jpg

IMG_0695_zps6d98102c.jpg

IMG_0696_zps03e5d817.jpg

IMG_0697_zpsa900845c.jpg

IMG_0698_zpsee43a816.jpg

IMG_0705_zps38bcbdc9.jpg

IMG_0716_zpsb9454173.jpg

IMG_0719_zpseecd2976.jpg

Last but not least, I couldn't spot any cheeses, but I did see a particular cheese plant... The fruit disappeared pretty quickly!

IMG_0721_zps57b2d2b4.jpg

How is that?

Ha ha, excellent! :thumbsup:

That cheese pic is a real cracker.

Post it in the cheese thread, and it will be perfect.

Does look like it would be a nice place to roam freely on a powder day.

Haven't made it to the Aizu Kogen resorts yet. Do know someone who swears by one of them -- just hard enough to get to to keep the crowds away, he says.

Yeah, I'm trying to upload the Pics to SJ, but the uploader seems borked. At least for a Mavericks-running MBP with a firefox browser.

I can upload singularly, but honestly that would take forever.

Anyone else having troubles with the uploader?

• SnowJapan Admin

Can you email me with a few details please, and let me know where you are trying to upload from and what is happening - can't help if we don't have at least that. Thanks.

Edit - I see yo have uploadeda few. You can actuallydo multiple uploads, but some browsers seem to not allow you to specify them all at once. If that is the case, specify one then another then another.... then submit and they should all go up together.

Thanks.

Can't see a way of Private Messaging you? Member details also offer no email. Might be me being an idiot though.

EDIT - looks like I'm too new for school. Could you please let me have messaging privileges?

Right, I've uploaded the images, one by one. I don't know what it is, but for my mac the uploader is pure paff, regardless of browser. Maybe it's because I use iphoto and it doesn't like the way the images are stored?

Anyhow, You have the pics now. Hope they work out well :)

I haven't yet Metabo, I'm more freeride so the longer runs of takatsue appeal to me. However Daikura seems to be the quieter of the two, and has the better park by all accounts. If you do go please let me know what it's like!

I haven't yet Metabo, I'm more freeride so the longer runs of takatsue appeal to me. However Daikura seems to be the quieter of the two, and has the better park by all accounts. If you do go please let me know what it's like!

Will do! Leaning towards Daikura at the moment. That 38-degree course at the top looks inviting ('cuz I'm stupid).