+1 for what muikabochi said. Except for a very short uphill leading to the resort it is pretty flat. They also keep the roads really well cleared (usually, this last storm overwhelmed everyone). Kawaba keeps the road pretty well cleared but I have been there more than 50 times and I have had a couple close calls. One time a car flipped and I came around a corner barley stopping in front of it. Also almost slide into a sideways car once. If it isn't snowing hard all day Kawaba is fine. If it is, White World might be the safer bet.

That is a nice pic! The only trees I hit on the front side were just beside run 7 which is the 40 degree slope. From the lift I went just past the run and dropped a couple of really nice powder lines. Due to the steepness and the trees they were a bit scary but fun. There seemed to be some danger if you don't cut back to the run soon enough so of course, be careful. The area between course 7 and 5 is bigger than it looks in this pic. I wanted to try it but the bottom of the gully seems to be a little flat and it was late in the day and I didn't bring my snowshoes. I was also alone which is never the safest. The valley below the gondola looked a bit sketcky but beautiful. I also noticed some people walking up to the peak and riding down a BC line followed by a closed run on the backside.. Looked really fun. If I had my snowshoes I probably would have tried to tag along. That said I was there from 8:30 to 3:30 and wasn't bored for a second!

I just spent all morning yesterday in the trees between course 7 and 5 (in Japanese the エキスパートコース上 and チャンピオンAコース) The ride out at the bottom is fine and those trees are really good! Also hit the BC line mentioned before but rode behind the closed run slightly farther from the skijo because the sun was slushing up the snow a bit and the valley behind was better shaded. Had to walk over a small hill to gt back to the resort. I think the valley that I was in gets pretty deep and runs between Katashina Kogen and Iwakura. Ran into a tour group hitting almost the same BC line I did but they cut out at the perfect time to avoid the walking.

• Like 1