I had the chance to join a friend in Noheji for a trip to Makado Onsen. While small, the resort is still larger than Kamafuseyama (hard not to be) with more courses and lifts.

The weather was pretty crappy early morning with heavy winds and heavy snow, but by the time we were ready to head out, most of it settled down and made for decent weather the rest of the day.

Morning Weather-View from parking lot

med_gallery_13070_370_3992558.jpg

Morning Weather- Beginner Slopes

med_gallery_13070_370_1471702.jpg

Lodge Proper

med_gallery_13070_370_2048666.jpg

The lodge itself is very large and has all the ammenities. Many vending machines, large cafeteria with many menu options (vending machine for food tickets) gift shop and even a dessert shop. They offer millitary discounts as well, so it isn’t surprising to see airmen and their families from Misawa AFB here. I myself scored 400Y off for a 4 hour ticket

Ticket Office

med_gallery_13070_370_2625810.jpg

Cafeteria

med_gallery_13070_370_289701.jpg

Lodge

med_gallery_13070_370_217119.jpg

Makado has a good mixture of slopes available in a close area. They offer lessons for skiers and snowboarders as well, though I’m sure it’s only in japanese.

med_gallery_13070_370_176996.jpg

med_gallery_13070_370_151930.png

As you exit the lodge towards the slopes there are two lifts. The right lift services two beginner slopes. The one on the left (as you look from the lodge) is the most gentle, and even with a freshly waxed snowboard, I found it hard to enjoy it at the slow speeds I could get.

Right Side Lift- Beginners Courses

med_gallery_13070_370_92882.jpg

Middle of Slopes

med_gallery_13070_370_576307.jpg

Beginner Course- Right Side

med_gallery_13070_370_1459646.jpg

The lifts are very low to the ground and will catch your highbacks as a boarder. The lift personnel pushed my highbacks down for a me a few times before I realized what they wanted me to do. Two of the lifts don’t even have safety bars as well.

The left slope is slightly more steep, but again as a beginners slope I found it less than enjoyable. It is good to know that there are easy slopes to start with though here.

Beginner Course- Left Side

med_gallery_13070_370_1409570.jpg

On the left side, the lift services two steeper longer courses, as well as bringing you up to access the third lift. The two courses available at the top of the left lift are steeper and more enjoyable for intermediate/advanced riders. The furthest left has slalom poles for practice, and the middle run starts out very steep before fanning out between the two lifts.

Left side lift with Intermediate Courses

med_gallery_13070_370_409991.jpg

If you choose to go towards the third lift, you leave to the left and ride down a small slope. It intersects the long, forest course path so be careful when going for the lift.

The third lift takes the longest going deeper into the mountain betwixt the trees but is the most enjoyable for the scenery and being the longest when going all the way down to the lodge.

Start of Forest Course Lift

med_gallery_13070_370_1921805.jpg

med_gallery_13070_370_111776.jpg

About half way up the forest course

med_gallery_13070_370_195362.jpg

Forest Course Lift View

med_gallery_13070_370_141502.jpg

We spent most of the day running the forest course over and over, and only going the full course back to the lodge a few times for lunch, etc.Though it was very flat on the forest course, I managed to get up some big speed going down.

The coverage of snow was weak at best with a 60cm base. The friend I went with said this was the worst conditions they ever had here, and chalked it up to the poor snow season this winter. Despite the lack of fresh powder, the runs were still sufficient to enjoy, as we did.

During lunch time, I had some pork ramen (600Y) which was sufficiently filling.

med_gallery_13070_370_1360370.jpg

I didn’t get a chance to experience the far left course with the slalom poles because there were some JSDF Army guys practicing cross country sking, but it looked like it had the most coverage. Maybe because it was closed off that the coverage remained.

Makado Onsen doesn’t actually have an onsen, but a few miles down there is one which is always enjoyable after a day of riding. The resort is also much closer to civilization not being on the Shimokita Penninsula, which makes it more likely those in the area would make it here. The resort is about an hour from Aomori City.

Depending on where you are in Aomori Prefecture I’d reccommend Makado as a worthwhile trip (say within an hour of you) however within decent distance, Hakkoda is available if you are confident and prepared enough. If you are traveling with family though, Makado is a great compromise.

Wow! Looks like a small place. Thanks for sharing! Would you go back again?

Small but plenty of exploring to do and keep you busy for a day. I'd definitely go back and probably will later this season.

Interesting!

Hope you don't mind moved this and your other one over to the Snow Talk area as seemed better and many more people will see it here.

:friend:

Sounds good David, I'll be sure to put the other ones there as well

Cheers how did the new board go?

I'm loving it so far. Caught an edge on some bulky ice once, but I was the fastest person on the slopes without even trying. Sintered bases hold wax so well!. I'll be happiest when I replace my broken boots, but this is the best board I've owned, though I haven't had it in deep powder yet. Hopefully the weather will take a turn for the better and I'll do a gear review as well.

Thank you! Love to see detailed reports of new places.

Is that "appendix" on the left side of the trail map the cross-country course?

If you're referring to what looks like a go cart track on the trail map I took a picture of (as opposed to the graphic available on their website) then I couldn't say for sure, but when I saw it from the lifts, it looks like a practice area for cross country for sure. It was all flat like a soccer field, but there were about 2 dozen people working their way across on skis. Hope that answers your question.