So I apparently broke a strap on the cheap snowboard boots I bought when I ate it hard and broke my snowboard (Shamless plug, check my blog!). While it is possible to resew it, my friend who would make the repair reccommends a new boot, and to keep these for backup.

med_gallery_13070_343_101960.jpg

I don't want to shell out for new boots, though having a good boot is an extremely important part of the setup. Instead I sent home to have my old snowboard boots sent out. Since I borrowed them from a friend I never knew the specs on the boot, but found them today as 2007 DC Allegiance's. They were a top tier double boa boot with an extremely stiff feel.

Thinking back, they were pretty hard to just walk around in, especially compared to the boots I have now, which just feel like oversize boots and are super soft. (I think I have issues with heel lift honestly)

Background aside, I wanted to know if anyone preferred a soft boot or one with medium flex even after their skills progressed further with many years of riding. Friends I talked to locally said they got a medium flex boot then got stiffer ones once they got the basics down.

What did you guys do?

Yeah stiff are better......my boots are falling apart this year, the inner lace has de-sheathed meaning the lace slides through the stopping mechanism under slight pressure and the wires aren't holding as tight either. I've definitely noticed a change in performance, my toes are often over extended. But after 7 years I feel they are due to be retired!

I am riding this year with a stiffer boot will coment later

Look forward to it. My grandparents have their hands on my good boots and bindings back home so I don't expect to see them until the middle of next month. Until then I'll have to ride with a soft busted boot.

Are there any stiff bindings that aren't all metal?

Just had to buy a new pair of boots this week after my 7yr old pair finally gave up the ghost. I bought a pair of salomon savage boa from rakuten for 22k. After trying on a pair in Sports Depot and liking how stiff they were. Then my surprise when I looked em up online to see they are listed as mid-flex!! Shows how relaxed my boots had become

Have only tried stiff boots, but would like to try a softer pair one day. But I wouldn't want to give up that responsiveness of stiff boots!

Still in my Northwave Legends after having them 100+ days on the mountain. Still super responsive. Tried on a pair of Burton Ion the other week, but they felt soft compared to my Northwaves, even after all those years! I think they might actually outlast me, seriously. Maybe I should ride harder :lol: