Am I going to be warm enough skiing in Hakuba

Just getting a little nervous about my wife and I being warm enough in Hakuba, in Jan.

We have thermals ski jacket and pants and helmet, wife shopping In Tokyo for hers, Not sure how much other clothes I will need on?Any suggestions?

Thinking more about while out skiing, the bars wont be a problem. Im sure it depends on the day, but it seems pretty dam chilly..ha

Also Goggles, wife and I wears glasses, I can do without while skiing, just cant read anything, any suggestions, and whats a fair price to pay, we only ski at best once a year,

Any tips thankfully received.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember that Goz is doing Danchi right now.

Thank you Mama bear for your thoughts after reading your input my wife is going to look at contacts tomorrow., thanks

Check out UniQlo. Cheap clothes chain. They have a range of heattech tops and bottoms. Layer a few of those and you will be nice and toasty. The tops and bottoms are very light weigh, and easy to put an extra one in the backpack just in case. Their shops are everywhere so you should be able to find one while in Tokyo no problem.

UniQlo is even up where I am so they shouldn't be hard to find. They have the heat tech out on display to check your size before you buy. They were normally 1200Y but were on sale for 800Y at my local store around new years. Thats for top or bottom.

I only wear one layer of thermals, then a t-shirt over and my jacket and pants. As much as I move around, sometimes I get even too hot! It was -4 on the mountain today and I didn't even wear a hat I was too warm.

Goggles are overpriced new here.. Between 6000 and 20000Y depending on what you want. Get at least double paned for anti fog. Expect to pay about 8000 for a pair. Or try a second hand store if buying used doesnt bother you.

UniQlo is even up where I am so they shouldn't be hard to find. They have the heat tech out on display to check your size before you buy. They were normally 1200Y but were on sale for 800Y at my local store around new years. Thats for top or bottom.

I only wear one layer of thermals, then a t-shirt over and my jacket and pants. As much as I move around, sometimes I get even too hot! It was -4 on the mountain today and I didn't even wear a hat I was too warm.

Goggles are overpriced new here.. Between 6000 and 20000Y depending on what you want. Get at least double paned for anti fog. Expect to pay about 8000 for a pair. Or try a second hand store if buying used doesnt bother you.

Thanks, I also run pretty hot, so sounds like I will be fine, just have to keep wife warm. Warm wife happy life..Are their second hand store in Tokyo/ kanda area, I dont mind second hand as we dont get to ski too much, and we live in the sub tropics. I would give them a look if they are available.

I normally wear a t-shirt with a fleece top and then my jacket on top, and just pants under my ski trousers, as trousers would be to hot and uncomfortable for me otherwise.

I wear a neck tube or sometimes a balaclava and that is it.

It was only got to -8 today when I was skiing, but I was plenty warm enough with that.

However if it is snowing and blowing a gale it will feel colder even if the temps are not so low, then you might want to bring an extra thermal layer.

Go for double lens goggles to eliminate fogging and you should be good to go.

Thanks, I also run pretty hot, so sounds like I will be fine, just have to keep wife warm. Warm wife happy life..Are their second hand store in Tokyo/ kanda area, I dont mind second hand as we dont get to ski too much, and we live in the sub tropics. I would give them a look if they are available.

I picked up a decent shape board for 980Y (Yes about 10USD) and bindings for 6000Y. I didn't need goggles but the stores I shopped in had them as low as 1000Y and up to 9000Y for brands like Oakley or Smith.

Just had a look where you are in Japan,, no where near Tokyo, so you may not know... Are places like Nagano be more likely to have second hand than Tokyo?

Look for Book Off/Hard Off stores........there are a good few around Tokyo. I too bought some good 2nd hand gear from there in years gone by, a Burton custom 160 + Flow bindings for the grand total of 9000¥!! :D You do need to wade through a lot of shite before you find some golden nuggets tho.

Goz....you wear heat tech 24/7?! Wowsers, I only wear heat tech when riding, regular out n about stuff I wear jeans, t-shirt and a thick coat. Sometimes I wear a jumper instead of a t-shirt......I would be melting with thermal unders on :)

Coming from the tropics of course you may feel the cold a tad more than most posters on here, but as people have said, layer up and you'll be fine. If you are too hot, take off a layer....too cold, add another. When riding I wear heat tech bottoms and top as my base layer, a football shirt and a fleece under my snowboard jacket. I have a neck tube, beanie and gloves.......haven't been cold yet!

Look for Book Off/Hard Off stores........there are a good few around Tokyo. I too bought some good 2nd hand gear from there in years gone by, a Burton custom 160 + Flow bindings for the grand total of 9000¥!! :D You do need to wade through a lot of shite before you find some golden nuggets tho.

Goz....you wear heat tech 24/7?! Wowsers, I only wear heat tech when riding, regular out n about stuff I wear jeans, t-shirt and a thick coat. Sometimes I wear a jumper instead of a t-shirt......I would be melting with thermal unders on :)

Coming from the tropics of course you may feel the cold a tad more than most posters on here, but as people have said, layer up and you'll be fine. If you are too hot, take off a layer....too cold, add another. When riding I wear heat tech bottoms and top as my base layer, a football shirt and a fleece under my snowboard jacket. I have a neck tube, beanie and gloves.......haven't been cold yet!

cheers mate..and we are leaving summer

yeah I've family from your neck of the woods, they've been posting about how horribly hot its been in Queensland these last few weeks

last 3/4 days have been over 35 c, up to 40.Too bloody hot.. cant wait to get to the colder weather, we love it, but never skied in Japan,

You won't need much more than t-shirt, beany/helmet, gloves and goggles on a sunny day but if its windy or snowy, you'll want something to cover your face/neck/ears etc and fingers can get very cold - an extra pair of gloves which are thin enough to wear under your normal gloves can make a world of difference there. I think girls usually prefer an extra layer compared to guys. As mentioned, spend around 8k or more on goggles - it isn't worth skimping here otherwise its gonna ruin your fun with fogged up lenses all the time - cheap ones will be fine on sunny days, but useless on powder/snowy days. Also a good idea to stick a pair of cheap 1000-2000 yen goggles in your pocket which you can use for a few runs if your main pair get fogged - even expensive ones can get fogged up if you end up having to dig yourself out of powder!!

You won't need much more than t-shirt, beany/helmet, gloves and goggles on a sunny day but if its windy or snowy, you'll want something to cover your face/neck/ears etc and fingers can get very cold - an extra pair of gloves which are thin enough to wear under your normal gloves can make a world of difference there. I think girls usually prefer an extra layer compared to guys. As mentioned, spend around 8k or more on goggles - it isn't worth skimping here otherwise its gonna ruin your fun with fogged up lenses all the time - cheap ones will be fine on sunny days, but useless on powder/snowy days. Also a good idea to stick a pair of cheap 1000-2000 yen goggles in your pocket which you can use for a few runs if your main pair get fogged - even expensive ones can get fogged up if you end up having to dig yourself out of powder!!

even expensive ones can just get fogged up......bought a pair of Oakley Splice's for this season and twice they've fogged up BETWEEN the lenses......so there is very little I can do. Having a 2nd pair is good advice, but sometimes cheapo pairs are just as good as big brand ones.

Remember that Goz is doing Danchi right now.

yeah I forgot about that.....but isn't that what Mrs Gos is for??!! :evilgrin:

You must have been sweating hardcore?!

I've never heard of double paned doing that, but then again I haven't been in the right circles.

And maybe she's a cold fish. But probably not if she's sleeping in the car with him across the country ^_^

This siteハードオフ秋葉原

thumbnail.png

3-11-2 Sotokanda, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan ‎

+81 3-6206-4861 ‎

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this store in Kanda sells winter,gear. , WISH i COULD READ JAPANESE

hardoff.co.jp

Great idea on the second goggles, Dam there is so much to learn, we plan on making this a yearly trip, and staying longer next time, this is our test trip. Already I dont think 12 days is enough.7 nights in Goryu, the rest in Tokyo