I remember paying upwards of 400,000 yen each for two G4 towers plus big bucks for 10,000 rpm SCSI drives and the interface for non compression video editing......now the whole system is sitting gathering dust in the land of misfit, obsolete toys....

More so at elitists who have cash to burn I would think.

The guys I hung out with that did the real professional editing had some crazy expensive HP work stations (Z800 series)

I personally never saw the appeal of apple products myself, though I owned a few throughout the years. I respect their business structure though. Can't say they haven't been successful.

You should see some of the adds making fun of the trashcan look of the mac.

I'm not too sure what I expect the product to do though really. Its not like the iphone where most people have the liquid cash to go out and buy one, its a bigger investment, and you don't carry it around with you everywhere as a status symbol.

Such a diminutive chassis doesn’t come without caveats, though. The new Mac Pro is, surprise surprise, very hard to upgrade. You can upgrade the RAM, and we believe the PCI-E solid-state drive should be upgradeable, but that’s it. Due to the unified thermal core, it appears that the CPU and GPUs are non-upgradeable.

Source:http://www.extremete...more-than-10000

It doesn't help that most professional software suites aren't written to take full advantage of dual GPU systems. Mostly its still games that do. Hell most programs don't even take advantage of multi core CPUs.

This is surely aimed purely at professionals, video editors etc?

In Japan the main use is nengajo.

On the subject of "pro" equipment, my kids had 7-5-3 photos taken last month at a photo studio in a Kitamura Camera Store. If anyone is into cameras, guess what camera/lens combo they were using. I'll put the answer up in a couple of days.

On the subject of "pro" equipment, my kids had 7-5-3 photos taken last month at a photo studio in a Kitamura Camera Store. If anyone is into cameras, guess what camera/lens combo they were using. I'll put the answer up in a couple of days.

An Ipad?!

Canon 7D with a 50mm f/1.4 lens at least i hope....

Wow, that's almost the right answer and worthy of a beer if you're over this way! It was actually a Fuji S5 Pro body, a Nikon mount dx SLR with 6 actual megapixels and some fancy processing to make it 12, but the same vintage as a D80. The lens was the 18-200 VR do-anything dx one. The studio had several million yen of lights and the whole thing was set up to give balanced lighting and flattering portraits. From the exif, they seem to shoot at 1/125 at f11(!) and iso 400. So not even at base iso and probably too small an aperture for max sharpness. Massive dof though, so loads of leeway for missing focus.

The Kitamura shop you had to walk through to get to the studio had a D4, a D800, and some of the trinity lenses in the cabinet. Classic portrait length ones too like the 85mm. They even had more modern cameras than the one in their studio in the second-hand section. So the camera shop there pushes the latest and greatest technology but their studio sells I guess close to 1,000 prints a week without using any of it.

:lol:

Ah the 18-200mm. I remember that one. Can't complain about it as I used it so much.

I bet the folks at Kitamura can't see how it looks. I don't suppose people using Kitamura generally care or know though hey.

Well, you can still take totemo crappy photos with the D800E and trinity lenses - I have much evidence!

And you can still take great photos with a D80 and the 18-200mm.

We've had photos taken with the kids dressed up at another studio chain called Studio Alice back in 2006. It was a similar setup with the staff spending more time on trying to entertain the kids than actually looking through the finder. However, I do remember them using a medium format camera with a digital back. My daughter did some 7-5-3 modelling a couple of years ago at a non-chain studio in Matsumoto and the exifs say the guy used a 5d mk II and the 24-105 F4 L lens. Both his photos and the ones from Studio Alice are way better than the recent ones from KItamura (Studio Mario). The Mario ones aren't very sharp and have washed out colours. Of the three, Kitamura is the one that's a camera shop themselves, and they had better cameras sitting there meters away from the studio.

On the flip side, for 7-5-3, Mario lets your kids wear the kimono out to the shrine for free on a weekday :friend: We only bought a few postcard sized snaps, so they didn't get much money out of us.