Oh Crap...New Snow Tire Prices

I've been looking for used for a while now but I may have to buy new if nothing decent comes along here soon. The problem is my tires are BIG.....

315/75/r16's. Granted that is indeed a lot of rubber new tires are about 35,000 yen....EACH!! And I have to find some rims as well. Along with Shaken, this is going to be a very costly month.... :(

I could use a friendly hug..sniffle sniffle..

Actually you would be better off with more narrow tyres for snow. Wider tyres are actually a disadvantage in snow as they create more friction so your car will bog down easier.

SD, what chew on?

The rubber surface area for the lesser coefficient of friction (snow) means there is less grip (friction) for the tyres. The wide tyres actually gives less friction (traction).

But you're right on the thinner tyres.

Yes, I know all that but skinnier tires on a high lift heavy truck like my LC is a precarious proposition as well as not being at all attractive. About the skinniest I can go is 285 and even at that I would have to add wheel spacers to get the tires out near the edge of the fenders for stability. The high price of the 315's is mainly due to them being a specialty item and the fact they are only made and distributed in Hokkaido..... I'm following a few used sets on Yahoo auctions but they sure ain't cheap either.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. A friend of ours just bought 4 new tires for shaken. A week after, the cars transmission grenaded and it would be in the neighborhood of 200,000 yen to fix. The tires were 50,000 yen and the shaken was 150,000. They are bailing on the car so they're out 200,000 yen either way.

Really though....that's got to be a photoshop job....??

Oh.. and.... It looks like I can get some new season promotion tires at 25,000 yen a piece off Rakuten.....still expensive but better than the original prices. :thumbsup: