Hi guys Im looking for some good, experienced advice for a first trip to japan.

I want to go to Japan, I want to snowboard, but where should i go?

I lived in NZ last year and started snowboarding and loved it. But I have never boarded through trees or experienced deep powder and the stories of japan....

I have been living in the west australian "winter" for the whole of '13 and Im keen to do anything and everything in Japan. But so much choice and absolute no local knowledge leaves me in need of some good advice on where to go? (Im thinking late december early january). I have some gear but not all (jacket gloves) - is it easy to take all your gear with you?.

I dont mind doing commercial resort thing but prefer the less beaten track:) It seems Nisenko has incredible snow and tree runs but obviously very touristy (which i dont mind as long as its worth it)

any advice would be greatly appreciated lads.

Welcome to the forums jpek (from another West Aussie).

You will find a lot of what you seek simply by reading past threads here, or doing some research on the other bits of SnowJapan than the forums.

Given that this will only be your second season on a board and tree's and powder are going to be new to you I would expect that you would not be spending a lot of time off piste, and if you did it would be piste edges, not straying too far from patrolled area's. Most resorts in Japan will give you what you are after.

Niseko (not Nisenko, I assume that was a typo), is pretty busy over the time that you mention - I will be there at that time, and I KNOW it is going to be packed. The main reasons are that many countries have Christmas New Year holidays and so people come at that time, and the Aussie school holidays mean it is peak family and teacher time at Niseko over Dec/Jan. Getting accommodation at this stage might be tricky. Other resorts will have also experienced an spike in numbers, but are more likely to still have accommodation available IMHE (of having to book at this time of year for the last few years ;) )

Gear: You can hire. You can buy in Tokyo in the large ski/board shopping area when you get there. You can borrow from your mates... Whatever you do transporting it is not that hard. Some of the lower cost carriers can be a bit difficult about ski/board bags, but most are fine. Keeping weight limits down when you are taking skis or a board or both is fun times. :lol:

My recommendation would be get your own ski jacket, ski pants, midlayers, gloves, boots (get good boots) and hire the board for now. Find out what you love in a board, find out if this is going to be your new biggest love and you are going to spend the rest of your life chasing snow - then buy the board :)

Good luck, and have fun researching :wave:

Hi Jepk,

It depends on what you are looking for out of the trip. You are a beginner rider so pretty much any of the main resort areas will be fine. You'll be able to ride the piste and dabble in the fluffy side stuff if u feel confident enough. Do you want to travel the less beaten path (by foreign tourists) or do you want to stay in your comfort zone in an English friendly environment? Do you want high class western style accommodation or are you happy to try out the more Spartan, Japanese style accommodation? There is nothing wrong with both choices of course.

Niseko of course will be upfront in ur mind....it's super western friendly, modern resort with after dark things to do and of course awesome snow. Here you can get western style rooms and Japanese style. It may be easier to book the Japanese Inn style as foreign based westerners tend to prefer western accommodation. Rusutsu has great snow but the "village" is tiny and accommodation choices are low....the main hotel, however is very good and has lots of restaurants in it. It may be a tad boring if u r on ur own tho, as there isn't much else to do after the lifts stop. Sapporo city is a good base, all the amenities of a large city, 30-odd mins by train from the airport, Sapporo Teine ski resort is within the city boundaries and lots of shuttle buses to resorts all over Hokkaido that leave from most of the large hotels about town. That said using the buses will mean ur day on the hill will be cut drastically....arriving mid morning typically about 10am. Teine is accessible via a bus from JR Teine train station in the city.

Furano in central Hokkaido is a year round town/city and has all amenities you'd expect. Snow condition is usually top notch but slightly less than the Niseko-Rusutsu side of Hokkaido. Patrol are strict about keeping within the ropes, they may yoink ur pass if they catch u dabbling out with the designated runs

On Honshu, the western friendly area of choice is Hakuba. Plenty of resort choice, a nice village with bars and restaurants and a large choice of hotels. It's a little harder to get to from Narita, a train I think or a airport limousine....not crazy difficult just perhaps a little more complicated to navigate. The snow is great too.

If you are looking to get off the main tourist trail and throw yourself into the Japanese deep end then if course there are plenty places to visit. The easiest resort area to access from Tokyo is Yuzawa in Niigata. Tokyo station to Echigo Yuzawa station is 70-90 mins on the Shinkansen. It's an onsen town with a year round population (this website is headquartered in the area). Lots of resorts within a 30 min bus ride away from the centre of town and great snow. Restaurants and Japanese bars in the village but don't be expecting Bali in the snow :)

Nozawa Onsen in Nagano is also becoming more popular with foreign tourists. A quaint year round onsen town that has the same sort if restaurants as Yuzawa but Id say a little more English friendly. Good resort and good snow.

Shiga Kogen....good snow condition, it's a high altitude resort but often has less snow than nearby Nozawa and Myoko areas. Huge ski area and you wouldn't get bored.....until the lifts go off....there's nothing really to do. A little convoluted to get to as well IMO, although if ur booking through an agent then they will sort all connections for u....that goes for anywhere.

Myoko Kogen gets great snow, has a small village area with a few eating options and is starting to attract tourists attention.

These are the main areas I reckon...but there are plenty more to choose from.

Yeah the more spartan Japanese style accommodation is fine. So quite easy to hit most resorts from sapporo.... maybe thats the best bet.

Would I be really be testing it going early december? I have looked at prev snow reports and they seem to be pretty good past few years...

Welcome

I would buy all your stuff before you go 2nd hand as you will have no problem selling it on your return if you want to upgrade, I should be able to sort you out with gear just let me know your weight height and shoe size.

As far as 1st time Japan I think Hakuba is a great option for Honshu and if you are going to Hokkaido then definitely Niseko check out accom and see what suits budget wise.

Anywhere you go you will have a great time and then you can start looking further afield