OK so I'm really clueless on this kind of thing.

Current home - hikari ocn internet connection.

But for new home - what's the best/fastest?

I heard the word gigabit, but plans including the word 'giga' .... but with a disclaimer saying that using a computer you'll never get that speed.

So what's it all about? Are they all more of the same or should I move over to someone other than OCN to get a better service?

:confused:

Any tech heads care to open up this world a bit for me (and hopefully others who have no idea!)?

:thumbsup:

Not sure about the "hikari" thingy, but gigabit internal wiring in the home should be mandatory for all new builds. Unless, of course, you are going to go wireless in the home as mine is.

What the "gigabit" term means is that the wiring will transmit 1gigabit per second (a gigabit is about 1024 Mega bits, a Megabit is 1024 Kilobits and a Kilobit is 1024 bits)

I am doing this from a laptop while I watch the TV, I am connected to the internet by WiFi to a Wireless router which then connects to my ADSL modem, which (in turn) is connected to the phone line.

Wireless is not the fastest, but it sure as hell is convenient!

Our house will be wired with Category 6 cables which I believe is gigabit capable. Thats what I understood when I was asked if we wanted 5 or 6, and did a bit of research.

The cables themselves are going through tubes, which apparently means that we can change them very easily if we want without ripping up the house!

But that's about all I know right now. :lol:

That's enough!

Cat 6 is gigabit capable - so that's OK. Running them through tubes (technically "ducting") means thet they can be replaced with higher capacity cabling if/when that becomes available.

The next iteration of copper cabling may be some time off, as fibre is likely to overtake copper in the very near future. So, being able to pull the "old" copper out and replace it with fibre is a good thing!

Leaving that to others - happy to help where I can, but that one's well outside my area of experience!

Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Our current house we have AU Hikari which runs at 1000mb.

But our new house we will have to go back to NTT which has a max speed of 200mb, still fast but no were near as fast as AU. AU do not have their network installed in Kobuchisawa as it is too remote!

We will go for the fibre optic cable same as what is in this house now, it is far faster and superior to the old copper cables. We are not at that stage yet though of discussing cables!

There's a disclaimer on the au site saying that the home connection can't get that speed.

Whether that's a general 'don't expect full speed' disclaimer or not, I don't know.

1000mb, really snowdude?

What kind of speeds do you actually get with that setup?

Around 750mb. But it does drop down to between 350-500 on wireless, which is still way fast enough.

When I do video/movie downloads which is quite often I use the hard wire as it is more stable speed.

I haven't seen it actually run at a 1000, although I have been told you can get a 1000 from it depending on area. Don't know of course.

Like I said above It is running at about 750 as standard, on hard wire and have seen it peak at 850 when less traffic, so I guess at certain times during the middle of the night it (may) actually hit close to 1000.

I use wireless usually as it is more convenient. As for the internet and like talking with vid on Skype hard wire or wireless doesn't make any difference just as quick, but for downloading big files is when you notice the difference in the extra speed, much faster to download by wire.

Once I move to Kobuchisawa I will have to go back to NTT as no au hikari fibre there, so will be down to 200mb/sec max speed there. Doing downloads I am sure I will notice the extra time required to download.

But oh well better than no internet and still will be just as fast surfing the net.