So my wife and I finally got our specific placement for JET. It wasn't what we were hoping for in Aomori-ken as a more central location but we are still stoked! We'll be moving to むつ市 (Mutsu City) in August.

I tried doing some research around for the local slopes, but I get zero information from google (Even images!) aside from the one review for it on Snow Japan (how about that?!) from 2002... Searched in japanese too but didnt get much either. Main website for the city also says zero except for operating hours and ticket prices. Even the forums here only mentions it once in a "Where is this?" thread.

So I turn to you guys! Anyone here visit kamafuseyama at all? I know its kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but I was hoping someone here might have visited it that could provide some input. SInce it's going to be a short ride away, It'll probably be first on my list out of convenience. Depending on when we get a car, I'll be making the longer trips across the prefecture, but until then, seems this one will have to do.

Thanks!

Omedeto!

Sounds like a sumo wrestler!! :lol:

I did a quick google search on the area as soon as we found out. The most interesting thing about the place is that it was the first city to use just hiragana for its name :eyes:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/aomori/mutsu/mutsushi-kamafuseyama has info and a link to one review.

Decent 400+ meters vertical, but starting from a low base near open ocean.

Wikipedia shows an annual average snowfall of 400cm+, but daily mean temp is below freezing only in Jan-Feb and even then the daily high is above freezing.

I'd guess you're looking at the occasional good powder day, with a lot of freeze/thaw icy conditions more often than not.

The good news is you're looking at a drive of less than 3 hours (and pretty scenic along the bay for much of that) to Hakkoda, and maybe 3.5 to Appi.

So I did some more looking and I'll be damned if a slight linguistic change in pronuciation doesnt get a crap ton more results. So the mountain is 釜臥山(かまふせやま)but when searching in romaji, kamafuse, because I want english results, I get hardly a drop. When i search kamabuse, POW tons of results and videos. Rendaku is retarded man.

I found a PR video from mutsu city on the slopes with their city mascot (an alien called mr muchuran that landed from space on mt kamafuse) trying to ski and snowboard. Hillarious while at the same time informative to what the slopes look like. There's a pretty amazing view of mutsu bay.

Also there are a bunch of other snowboarding specific videos when searching kamabuse. Don't know if anyone cares, but there's more info on the place. I'll be sure to update the review when I actually get out there later this year though.

• SnowJapan Admin

Interesting thing about the name there, Tachypsychia!

To get an official word on the name of the skijo, I just called the city office a little earlier - they told me it was indeed Mutsushi Kamafuseyama.

:friend:

The media I've uncovered actually shows a few tight knit groups that snowboard there with a few jumps and long slopes.

David: Thanks for actually confirming it. The groups that were calling it kamabuse are native japanese, which is why it threw me off...

Linguistic changes ... :D my ass they speak a different tongue even if you are Japanese it is more than throwing one off. Sadly, a lot of the younger generation (of the last 40 years) felt ashamed of their heritage, and much of the old tongue and proverbs are getting lost (or extinct) Not many Japanese realize that within Japan, language and culture has been lost on a daily basis .... Hokkaido natives, the first to go, and the northern Japanese have always been treated with the crap end of the stick.

Linguistic changes ... :D my ass they speak a different tongue even if you are Japanese it is more than throwing one off. Sadly, a lot of the younger generation (of the last 40 years) felt ashamed of their heritage, and much of the old tongue and proverbs are getting lost (or extinct) Not many Japanese realize that within Japan, language and culture has been lost on a daily basis .... Hokkaido natives, the first to go, and the northern Japanese have always been treated with the crap end of the stick.

I think my biggest disappointment was getting somewhere in the tohoku just because shimokita-ben is so prevalent up there. I wanted to pick up proper Japanese first. But it's not much different from here. I grew up in the south and in new england, and have no specific accent whatsoever.