• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And likely to be knighted??

Great achievement, well done.

But what a load of old smelly bollocks is all this Cameron and knighthood talk.

Anyway, shouldn't a good Scot tell them where to stick that? ;)

If Scotland would 'lose out' financially and economically if it went independent, as many seem to say would happen, would staying with the Brits not be the better option then?

In typical fashion, the only people who are saying that are the "No" faction.....the "Yes" side are saying everything will be rosy.....who knows what's true

I suppose we will find out if and when it happens, ne.

Though actually it is more people than just those in the 'no' faction who say that

:lol:

I don't have my 'sauces' at hand Tubby.

I'm simply recalling reading a fair few articles and reports on this - not stuff written by either side.

Like who? I haven't read anyone who wants independence say that we will be worse off

And they're hardly likely to, are they?

brit-gob means people who don't have vested interest on either side (surely).

The thing with this issue is that there are only 2 camps....YES and NO, so if your not with us your against us type of thing. So all those stories that say we'll be worse off are part of the NO camp, they tend to come from similar sources that usually can be considered unionist. For every one of those doom and gloom reports, there's another from the other side that paints a different picture, even if they are not officially affiliated with the YES campaign

Like who? I haven't read anyone who wants independence say that we will be worse off

And they're hardly likely to, are they?

brit-gob means people who don't have vested interest on either side (surely).

But that's exactly what I mean.....anyone who comments tends to have a vested interest because their investigation otherwise would be fruitless. Their "findings" would then be commandeered by whichever side their report comes out in favour of

I reckon that way more than 99.9% of the world doesn't give a fig on the issue.

And in that population of the world, there's a fair few economists and other fairly bright people who analyse things like this, and give their opinions without having any vested interest whatsoever.

I was simply making a comment but I must admit, I'm one of those 99.9%, and indeed not an economist.

And so, for those reasons, I'm out!

:wave:

I'll give you an example of what I mean and maybe you won't think that Im "on the attack"

One of the big doom n gloom scenarios that are being said is that an I dependent Scotland wouldn't automatically be an EU member. Both sides have said tit for tat that we would and then we wouldn't. A Spanish minister was wheeled out to say that it was unlikely to be the case (automatic entry) and we would have to apply like any other new country willing to enter. While on the face of it, Spain has no real vested interest, but they do indirectly. If Scotland were to be allowed automatic entry then it would strengthen the Independence movement of Catalonia, who have also been continually warned with "not part of the EU" by Spain's central govt. so Spain has to tread very carefully.

Often these "impartial economists" will have links to or been commissioned by groups who do have vested interest....whether that be trade related, political related or whatever. This issue was recently debated in the US Senate (or congress....or whatever it's called). The US has a military interest in whether Scotland goes alone as the SNP have said they would scrap the Trident Nuclear deterrent based in Faslane on the west coast, to the contrary of what NATO (and as such, US) wants. So although in general u are correct in saying that the vast majority of the general population care not a jot.....that 0.1% do and they are of the powerful type.

The Scottish media has been just as full of reports saying we'd be better off as they have been by reports that we are not. On such a highly politicised topic, the "experts" wheeled out on both sides are to considered slightly tainted.

I think the proof will be in the pudding.....if we don't try we'll never know.

I bet anyone paying tuition fees for higher education in England won't be mocking the way Scotland do things. They'll just be looking on in envy.

Politicians love to pull loads of dodgy moves with the "there is no alternative" bollocks, so its good to have one next door to show them up for the liars they are. The same goes for Iceland letting their banks fail.

Yeah Iceland is a good model.....they let their banks fail, sure people took a hit and it was tough for a bit but now they are much better off than places such as Ireland etc and without any of the debt n conditions that are piled on by the International community

I'm a bit confused by the Scotland situation.

It seems more emotional and the priciple than economic.

Which is it?