So, my wife just called me up and said she was talking with our electric company about a few of their power savings plans. Like... generally reduced rates with expensive (around double cost) rates between 1pm and 4pm. Or... lower general rates with around double cost rates from 9pm to 9am. There were a few more plans to choose from as well.

I didn't seem to think these were a good idea. Why not just "decide"... as a family to generally not use so much electricity period rather than being forced to not use electricity due to higher rates. The savings seemed about the same as you could make by just being more diligent and turning shit off..BUT still have the freedom to use higher amounts of electricity any time of the day when needed.

Seemed kind of silly considering these plans only save ~ 770 yen per month for the plan and about the same (or less) as that in actual energy savings.

I'll have to crunch the numbers I guess...

Any thoughts?

The one thing that me and ms gonads 'argue' about is me moaning about her crazy 'as much as an extended family' water/electric/gas use.

I've given up as there's no way round it. We only get in a bad mood if I bring it up.

Might be a good idea to look into this.

Well, I'm game for saving a few shekels but when my wife starts talking about going out of the house between 1 and 4pm to save electricity I just have to tell her what I think... which never ends well...

I've tried spending time outside to save on paying for the aircon, but I' m pretty sure the small amount of power I save is offset completly by the amount of icecream I eat.

Or use a solar powered cooling system, one that turns on the exhaust fans when the sun is working, removing air from the house. And a thing like SolarMate which we are using at the moment, to warm the house during the day when we are out, and using the sun to drive that.

Also have a solar grid-connected system that feeds into the grid whatever we are not using ... and given that we are both out of the house much of the week, that means plenty of FIT.

Lights in the house are LEDs and very few other illuminating devices. - saves a heap.

• 4 weeks later...

Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current electricity supply system

6003_7a67.gif

• 2 weeks later...