This is a cool one

ef07_chumbuddy_sleeping_bag.jpg

But seriously, any tips on what to get for a bit of non extreme (for want of a better word) hiking and camping?

:lol:

best sleeping bag I've ever seen!!

I'm going bag shopping next week, too. I want to start doing some camping and staying in my truck. I'm thinking about an autumn/winter bag ...maybe around a -5 rating. That shark could be dangerous though... one of my moron camp buddies would probably stab me with a bowie knife thinking it was the real thing.

Study up on bag ratings. There is a world standard but not every manufacturer complies to it nor do they have to so one -10 bag might be twice as good as the next -10 bag.

Synthetic works even if its wet but is bulky and heavy. Down is light if its high quality down but just as heavy as synthetic if its low quality and all down is useless if it gets soaked.

It comes down to price v warmth v weight. I just picked up a new 800 fill down bag, its absolute heaven to sleep in, super light and super compressible and as you can guess super expensive.

Do You get out and shoot those tasty bastards? :D

No, but there are some hunters down here that do. I heard its not bad meat depending on season and what they've been eating in their diet. Wrong season and poor food sources ..... tastes like ass.

Study up on bag ratings. There is a world standard but not every manufacturer complies to it nor do they have to so one -10 bag might be twice as good as the next -10 bag.

Synthetic works even if its wet but is bulky and heavy. Down is light if its high quality down but just as heavy as synthetic if its low quality and all down is useless if it gets soaked.

It comes down to price v warmth v weight. I just picked up a new 800 fill down bag, its absolute heaven to sleep in, super light and super compressible and as you can guess super expensive.

I stopped in at Mont Bell last night to look at some bags. At 3man to 4man they certainly aren't cheap. Since we are looking for a new dog and with all I've spent on my truck recently my wife said to "make do" with my cheap Coleman bag.

What ever you do ... DO NOT wake up that sleeping bag, she'll just haunt you for the rest of your life!

:D

EN13537 is the standard btw.

The bag I bought is a columbia moonstone 15F.

Rating of -9c comfort -28c extreme

A lot of cheap bags will use the extreme rating when they advertise which is kind of false advertising so get your head around how the ratings work before you lay down your money

Do You get out and shoot those tasty bastards? :D

No, but there are some hunters down here that do. I heard its not bad meat depending on season and what they've been eating in their diet. Wrong season and poor food sources ..... tastes like ass.

Is this what your after. That's some pig.

CAUGHT IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA

You might think twice next time about wandering around

in the scrub.

This pig was caught in Australia, on Roy Hill Station, via Newman.(Pilbara)

They only caught it because their dogs were going missing -

it was eating their dogs

Pig

With a decent crane on it for lifting stuff like ... bloody big porkers! ... 44 drums of diesel ... a 6ft slasher!