Ah yes... Now that I see the scale...That's a F'ing black hole...not even light escapes. Oh...man, I'd love to hear that unit spool up. :omg: SEXXXY! I though my 4.2l 1HD-T spool was pretty cool..... :confused: That things gotta sound like a jet turbine...haha.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah...I see. Thanks Musashi Maru.. :thumbsup:

Tubby. AWD is always engaged like many of the Subaru cars. 4WD is a manual selection to transfer drive to the front differential thus driving all four wheels. AWD is kinda like a smart version of 4wd where if you have slip at one corner it will compensate by "allocating" power to the opposite corner....(sort of). 4wd is more hardcore as all four corners are receiving equal power thus you do not want to try turning in 4wd on dry pavement because you very well might break something.

The crap thing about AWD cars is they have no low transfer case and no AWD over ride. The LandCruiser is unique in that it is AWD and has a low and high transfer case as well as center, front and rear locking differentials which makes each wheel spin at the same rate. Great for going vertical, or over large obstacles where you risk having one or more tires off the ground. Basically, you can go anywhere.

The Delica is a bit unique too as it has 4WD which is more like AWD and then it has 4WD LOCK which works like 4WD.

It has 3 modes

2WD

4WD

4WD LOCK

One is 4WD where all four wheels drive but are torque controlled by the computer so if one will slip power is transfered to other wheels to compensate.

On 4WD lock power is transfered evenly to all 4 wheels at the same time as both front and rear wheels have central diff lock as well as front and rear, if that makes sense.

Although the Delica does not have a low gear for the 4WD, if you put it in DS it will go pretty much anywhere because it has the traction control as well as AWD, so the wheels can't really spin as the traction control stops them as soon as it detects any slip.

If will happily go up a steep hill in deep snow as a result.

It also has traction control, which is brilliant in the snow as you can drive round a corner in snow and it will follow the corner just like you are on a dry road.

I tried in an open space last year in the snow to deliberately make it slide by turning and was very difficult to get it to slide out of control unless I really pushed it.

That is something that I really like about the Delica, which my other car before did not have.

4WD cars although better in snow than a 2WD will still slide out of control on corners if you go to quickly, but with the traction control as well it is like you are not driving on snow.

I was a bit sceptical before I bought thee Delica as my Suzuki Escudor was as stiff as hell to turn if I put it into 4WD on a dry road, could hardly turn the wheels.

Where as the Delica can be on 4WD on a dry road and you don't really notice any difference.

I querred this at the time when I was thinking about buying one, but was told it will out handle the Suzuki in snow or off road.

And so far that has been true.

Next test sometime needs to be off road in deep mud!

Nice looking beast!

It will handle snow ok for sure. My Delica will go through 40cm deep snow no problem, so your beast of a car will do way more than that!

I would like to take my on to one of those off road courses, but none around here, unless I make my own by driving through the forests and through farmers land, which don't think they will be so happy about that.

You know they have some pretty cool upgrades for the D5.... ;) I think the D5 with a lift and bigger tires is an awesome looking rig.

This 80 Series LandCruiser is considered by most to be the best off road vehicle ever made and designed to be pretty good in the snow. This truck has AWD with a locking center Differential and a rear locking diff. There is only one thing that worries me though. It weighs just over 6000 lbs and that seems like a lot of downward momentum on an icy hill. :shifty: I guess we'll see next winter but talking to other LC owners it should be better than the Prado I just got rid of.....and I thought it was fantastic in the snow.

Yes there is a 4 inch lift available which extra stiff torsion bars that come as a kit.

There are also side , rear and front body protector bars and plates and a bull bar available.

I would like to add some of these bits especially the 4 inch lift, but don't reckon my wife would be mad keen on me shelling out the dosh at the moment what with buying a house.

That is part the reason i bought it actually, like the Escudor I had before that, they are easily customizable.

One thing if you got a tractor you really can go anywhere including through a flooded rice field, it will take you for ever to get to the ski resort, but at least you would get there no matter how much snow!

I would love to have the same gearing as a tractor has for the 4WD side, you would be able to go anywhere then as long as you got the ground clearance, even you don't need 4WD then.

My "big boy toy" is ...

one of these!

L2202DT.jpg

That is just a toy tractor, what you really need is the following:

steiger11.jpg

or even this tank now this really is a mans toy:-

Parking would not be an issue either!

German-Leopard-tank.jpg

My "big boy toy" is ...

one of these!

L2202DT.jpg

steiger11.jpg

German-Leopard-tank.jpg

you want to be a bit more realistic. No way can you buy a tank with a nice gun like that. You could buy a Hummer though

Hummer_H1_Tuning_5948.jpg

My "big boy toy" is ...

one of these!

L2202DT.jpg

steiger11.jpg

German-Leopard-tank.jpg

you want to be a bit more realistic. No way can you buy a tank with a nice gun like that. You could buy a Hummer though

Depends who you know! Buying the tank actually would not be so unrealistic, registering it and being able to drive it on the road without the police getting on one's back however would be an issue!

Hummer_H1_Tuning_5948.jpg

First. FFS get your quoting shit into gear.

Second, I don't know army commandants who would sell me a tank with a wacker gun for the price of my watch.

Third, nor do you.

Fourth, I have many nice watches which are not toys but investments.

A Hummer...?? Well, you can call me to pull you out when you get stuck.. ;)

The hummers look a mean beast but I wonder how good they really are off road?

Oh they're good! Extremely capable...locked and loaded. However, trails tend to be "trails" and they are just too damned big. Even the LC 80 is pretty big for many trails. For all that cash though you could do better with a Rubicon Jeep, Icon LC or a very built 80 series LC.

How do the British land rovers fare in comparison, Chris?

I've always thought they looked sadly low tech compared to the other big 4wd vehicles but they are still around...

steiger11.jpg

I'd need a bigger paddock just to PARK the damned thing, couldn't even turn it around in my place! Them's built for places where the paddocks go for miles and miles, and where the crops grow just a few feet high! It would not fit between the rows of olive trees! (at least not without knocking a few over !!)

How do the British land rovers fare in comparison, Chris?

I've always thought they looked sadly low tech compared to the other big 4wd vehicles but they are still around...

I love the looks of the Defender 110. They look bulletproof but they have always been plagued with spotty reliability and very pricey. The low tech is what appeals to many off roaders but for the price they are a little too spartan and if you have to go any distance they aren't very comfortable. AND.....You'll definitely want to keep both your tool box and wallet open. The Discovery trucks are OK if you like .... again...wrenching. For that kind of money I'd choose an fully restored 1980's Toyota BJ 40 over anything Rover. You'd still have quite a wad of cash left over, too.

Nice looking beast!

It will handle snow ok for sure. My Delica will go through 40cm deep snow no problem, so your beast of a car will do way more than that!

I would like to take my on to one of those off road courses, but none around here, unless I make my own by driving through the forests and through farmers land, which don't think they will be so happy about that.

You know they have some pretty cool upgrades for the D5.... ;) I think the D5 with a lift and bigger tires is an awesome looking rig.

This 80 Series LandCruiser is considered by most to be the best off road vehicle ever made and designed to be pretty good in the snow. This truck has AWD with a locking center Differential and a rear locking diff. There is only one thing that worries me though. It weighs just over 6000 lbs and that seems like a lot of downward momentum on an icy hill. :shifty: I guess we'll see next winter but talking to other LC owners it should be better than the Prado I just got rid of.....and I thought it was fantastic in the snow.

Yes there is a 4 inch lift available which extra stiff torsion bars that come as a kit.

There are also side , rear and front body protector bars and plates and a bull bar available.

I would like to add some of these bits especially the 4 inch lift, but don't reckon my wife would be mad keen on me shelling out the dosh at the moment what with buying a house.

That is part the reason i bought it actually, like the Escudor I had before that, they are easily customizable.

Yes, a lift especially a 4" isn't trivial to the pocketbook. Springs, shocks, caster correctors, brake line extensions, differential spacers, steering damper, new lateral rods not to mention the bigger tires....that's $4 ~ $5K easily. The previous owner put probably double that into this one. And as you noted...body armour isn't cheap either.

I'd say do it though. Just call it "Preventative Maintenance". Sometimes that works. ;)

Hopefully not!! Shouldn't get into a situation where a digger is required to extract your vehicle!

That looks like the driver needs to learn where the 4WD selector is! Front wheels do nothing (at least up to 2:18, which is as far as I could manage to watch!)

From the first few seconds I could see something was "amuck" with the front differential not locking up at all. Maybe a broken propeller shaft from the transfer case or he popped something in the diff. He should have been able to crawl right out of that. The beauty of that truck is even if you have a catastrophic break in a differential you can just crawl under and unbolt the prop shaft and drive home on the remaining one good differential. Other trucks would need a tow.

Onehunga....I hate mud or water. It's fun in the moment but such a mess and long hours of maintenance afterwards.

This is more like what a locked 80 can do. This freaks me out though...one tire slip and you cave in the side of your cruiser.

Around 1:26..... :wub: Love the sound of locked diffs.. One bummer though......it's not a diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4bAaoqslQ