Hi there, new here

:wave:

Great place! Been lurking for a bit.

I have a question. If we rent a car and decide we wanted to get from Nozawa in Nagano to Zao in Yamagata, what sort of journey time should we expect for that? Keen to know if anyone has done that.

Hi kyaller and welcome.

OK, the drive from where I am in Muikamachi (Minamiuonuma), using the Kanetsu expressway from here to near Shibata in Niigata and then cutting across into Yamagata using Route 113 and then on to Zao takes the best part of 4 hours including a few brief stops.

I would imagine the best way from Nozawa is to take Route 117 from Nozawa up to join the Kanetsu Expressway at Kawaguchi. From that point the journey up to Zao would be the same. So the difference in time would be for just that part of the journey, and I reckon it would take you perhaps up to an hour more considering you'd be on a normal road and my journey to Kawaguch is using the expressway.

So my best guess would be about 5 hours.

:)

You could take the normal roads up through Niigata on about the same kind of route as the expressway.

Other roads cutting across are closed in winter. Anything else is taking you on a ridiculous detour and would take an age.

Depends on how fast you drive of course. ;)

And conditions.

But it can be done in just over 3 hours.

But you should probably think more like 4.

I got 307 km and a time of 5 hours 34 minutes skijo to skijo using the expressway through Niigata when searching on google maps. Might be able to make better time if the weather is good, but winter in Niigata is not always the best for driving in.

The road from Nozawa to the Kanetsu Expressway, is a main one and only in the worst weather conditions is it bad.

The biggest frustration of the road from the expressway to the north of Shibata over into Yamagata is that if you get behind a slow moving truck or two, it's hard to overtake. But the few times I have done that as well, it has been very clear - they don't get as much snow up there.

Conditions in parts of Niigata, especuially in that southern band from Myoko to Yuzawa, can be bad but I would say on the whole they are rather smooth apart from the big snow days.

Perhaps surprisingly so.

It doesn't get as cold as other places and the snow is often moved quickly and out of the way.