How would you like to live here?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs at least 2 pubs, of course.

I once played football against this team from a village in rural Perthshire, the village was 1 Main Street with 4 little streets coming off of it and there were 6 pubs!! All on the Main Street.

No. It's the other way round.
Sure.

1707 - 1885

The Royal Burgh of Perth originally formed part of the Perth burghs constituency along with burghs in Fife and Forfarshire. The Representation of the People (Scotland) Act 1832 made Perth a separate burgh constituency.

The remainder of the county returned a single member as the parliamentary county of Perthshire. The parishes of Tulliallan, Culross, Muckhart, and the Perthshire portions of the parishes of Logie and Fossaway were annexed to constituency of Clackmannanshire and Kinross in 1832.

It is clear that Stirling had already selected the name Perth for the capital well before the town was proclaimed, as his proclamation of the colony, read in Fremantle on 18 June 1829, ended "given under my hand and Seal at Perth this 18th Day of June 1829. James Stirling Lieutenant Governor".[18] The only contemporary information on the source of the name comes from Fremantle's diary entry for 12 August, which records that they "named the town Perth according to the wishes of Sir George Murray".[19] Murray was born in Perth, Scotland, and was in 1829 Secretary of State for the Colonies and Member for Perthshire in the British House of Commons. The town was named after the Scottish Perth,[20][21] in Murray's honour.[22][23][24]

Perthshire as in the place Perth Aus was named for :lol:

The shire around the town of Perth.....of which the city of Perth in Australia was named after. Allegedly because the guy who founded it thought it looked like his hometown in Scotland......having been to both, I disagree :)

I once played football against this team from a village in rural Perthshire, the village was 1 Main Street with 4 little streets coming off of it and there were 6 pubs!! All on the Main Street.

Definitely not enough pubs in that town. In Australia, any town with a crossroad in the main street has 4 pubs. Any less is a waste of valuable real estate.