I came across this great recipe when searching for some good dinner ideas.

Fried Egg Sunny Side Up

Ingredients

1 egg, raw, unopened

2 tablespoons olive oil or butter

Equipment

Frying pan, preferably flat or with slight indentation in middle.

(If you make your own indentation by hammering the middle of the pan, do not tell the missus what you did. Let her think this is normal aging for metals, much like normal aging for people when skin sags from too much use or time)

1. Heat pan

2. Coat pan surface with the oil or butter

3. When oil smokes slightly, crack egg on side of pan and open into the middle, where the indentation is

4. When enough of the transluscent bits turn white to your liking, use a thin spatula to lift the egg onto plate

5. Add salt as desired onto yolk or whites

fried_egg_sunny_side_up.png

Enjoy on its own or with cooked bacon and beans or sausage*

*Sausage, bacon and beans recipes coming soon.

Watch this space for more great ideas. Coming soon: how to make ice cubes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As promised, here is the ice cube recipe

Ice Cubes

Ingredients

Water

Equipment

Ice Cube tray

Refrigerator with a freezer compartment

1. Pour water into the ice tray

2. Place tray into the freezer compartment of the refrigerator

3. Depending on the refrigerator rating, wait 1 hour to 6 hours for the ice to form

4. Remove from freezer compartment and dispense according to use

Enjoy ice cold drinks or food according to liking.

As promised, here is the ice cube recipe

Ice Cubes

Ingredients

Water

Equipment

Ice Cube tray

Refrigerator with a freezer compartment

1. Pour water into the ice tray

2. Place tray into the freezer compartment of the refrigerator

3. Depending on the refrigerator rating, wait 1 hour to 6 hours for the ice to form

4. Remove from freezer compartment and dispense according to use

Enjoy ice cold drinks or food according to liking.

Actually with my fridge, it is quite different.

I just put some water in a little tank thingy, and the cubes drop out into a box.

So my procedure is

1) Fill tank with water

2) Wait until cubes are ready

3) Open fridge cube place and take out cube

OK....I have a great recipe for toast, its been handed down through my family for generations and generations....of course I can't go into all the details but you should get the jist of it.

What you need:

Bread- I can't tell you which kind as that's a family secret but white is what we always use.

Toaster

Method:

1. Take loaf of bread, open pack and remove slice of ##### bread from pack.

2. Place slice into prepped toaster and push DOWN (this is very important....not up) on toaster lever.

3. When ready, toast will jauntily pop up and be ready for spreading.

**For poor people without a toaster.......please substitute with dry frying pan on the stove. After step 1, place bread directly onto pan, flip over when side 1 has been toasted sufficiently and repeat

OK....I have a great recipe for toast, its been handed down through my family for generations and generations....of course I can't go into all the details but you should get the jist of it.

What you need:

Bread- I can't tell you which kind as that's a family secret but white is what we always use.

Toaster

Method:

2. Place slice into prepped toaster and push DOWN (this is very important....not up) on toaster lever.

**For poor people without a toaster.......please substitute with dry frying pan on the stove. After step 1, place bread directly onto pan, flip over when side 1 has been toasted sufficiently and repeat

Family secret:

loaf__20962.1315908440.1280.1280.jpg

What you need:

Toaster

Method:

Family secret:

I would hunt and kill for that bread!

I know someone who puts the butter on while it's bread, then puts it in one of those horizontal toaster/grill things.

Ahh....getting into toastie territory there

What you need:

Toaster

Method:

Family secret:

I would hunt and kill for that bread!

Proper hairs on your chest REAL MAN bread. You cant beat it for soup draining as well! That and some decent morning rolls and im set.

To pre-empt an attempt to hunt and kill for bread in Da Fuj by a skirt wearing bald highland accented English teacher, here is a (rather complicated) recipe for Scottish Gaelic Soda Bread Scones

picJYu5ea.jpg

Scottish Gaelic Soda Bread Scones

Ingredients

275 g wholemeal flour

275 g plain white flour

4.92 ml salt

4.92 ml bicarbonate of soda

400-500 ml buttermilk (14 to 18 flluid ozs)

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the smaller quantity of buttermilk, 400ml.
  3. Mix by hand, adding more buttermilk if necessary, until you have a soft but not sticky dough.
  4. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead lightly - just enough to shape the dough into a round. Flatten it to about 2.5cm/1in thick and cut out 8-10 scones, using a knife.
  5. Put on to a floured baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes, until well risen and golden. Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack.
  6. Serve with soup, stews or traditional breakfasts.

Ippy...I made a batch of Aberdeen butteries a month or 2 back.....damn they were good!!

Soda scones? Never heard of them....look like Irish Farls. Better off with tattie scones, dead easy to make and best with a cooked breakfast

Anotherr useful one I always keep handy in case I am caught hungry and there are no women in the house.

Instant Noodles

Ingredients

One packet of instant noodles like this or similar

FR031_Nissin-_Chu-Qian-Yi-Ding_-Instant-Noodles.jpg

Method

1. Boil water

2. Put noodles in boiling water

3. Keep boiling until noodles soften, around 3 minutes

4. Pour contents of soup base into pan with noodles

5. Eat from pan or serve into bowl