When I bought my new comp last year I also bought a blue laser programmable wireless mouse, which is now about 8 months old!

Well yesterday my mouse packed up, so I took it back to the shop expecting to get a refund only to find it only has a 6 months guarantee!

I couldn't believe that as because as far I was aware everything in Japan has a minimum of 1 year guarantee with somethings having 3 or 5 years.

Anyway I had a big argument with the assistant in the shop, because I was not happy with that at all, and he basically told me there is nothing he can do as the mouse only has a 6 months guarantee, and kind of looked at me like I was making a fuss for nothing, oh how I felt like giving him a twot on the nose for being an obnoxious arse hole!

It does actually state 6 months on the packaging in very small writing!

And in fact with the exception of just a few mice, almost all of them have only got a 6 months guarantee.

And with a lot of them even if they break while under guarantee the shop will not replace them directly, you have to contact the manufacturer so I was told.

I will of course be writing a letter to the manufacturer, because I think something like a mouse should never break in only 8 months and to only offer a shitty 6 months guarantee in this day and age is ridiculous

Anyway rant over!!

Anyone else had a problem with anything having a much shorter than expected guarantee?.

When I bought my new comp last year I also bought a blue laser programmable wireless mouse, which is now about 8 months old!

Well yesterday my mouse packed up, so I took it back to the shop expecting to get a refund only to find it only has a 6 months guarantee!

I couldn't believe that as because as far I was aware everything in Japan has a minimum of 1 year guarantee with somethings having 3 or 5 years.

Anyway I had a big argument with the assistant in the shop, because I was not happy with that at all, and he basically told me there is nothing he can do as the mouse only has a 6 months guarantee, and kind of looked at me like I was making a fuss for nothing, oh how I felt like giving him a twot on the nose for being an obnoxious arse hole!

It does actually state 6 months on the packaging in very small writing!

And in fact with the exception of just a few mice, almost all of them have only got a 6 months guarantee.

And with a lot of them even if they break while under guarantee the shop will not replace them directly, you have to contact the manufacturer so I was told.

I will of course be writing a letter to the manufacturer, because I think something like a mouse should never break in only 8 months and to only offer a shitty 6 months guarantee in this day and age is ridiculous

Anyway rant over!!

Anyone else had a problem with anything having a much shorter than expected guarantee?.

I'm not at all surprised. The filth that you point your mouse at would've done it in 2 days into use let alone 8 months. Poor mousie.

• Like 1

You tell that man in the shop!

It sounds like warranties in the US are longer than Japan, even on stuff made in Japan.

I bought a second hand camera last month and it came with a six-month guarantee from the shop (Map Camera), so manufacturers should be able to do much better than that.

They should bit of that's what the guarantee is and is on the packaging, then that's it. Not much the shop man can do is there?

Next time choose one with a longer guarantee is my top tip of the day! ;)

OR ... buy two cheapies with no guarantee - then you'll always have a spare, and they just about last as long as the expensive ones.

I have a mouse of about the same vintage - but it gets used for around 4 weeks every year - hardly "regular and constant" use!

The mouse I use regularly - like at least 4 hours a day - has been changed a couple of times a year!

Not easy when almost all of rhem only come with a six month guarantee. No choice.

They should bit of that's what the guarantee is and is on the packaging, then that's it. Not much the shop man can do is there?

I need an expensive ish one like I got that has programmable buttons as I do a lot of web site building and design so need a good mouse.

A cheap one is not going to be very useful for me.

As it was not a cheap mouse I expected it to last longer.

The previous laser wireless mouse I had lasted six years not eight months.

So naturally I was expecting similar life expectency especially as technology is always improving.

OR ... buy two cheapies with no guarantee - then you'll always have a spare, and they just about last as long as the expensive ones.

I had a geek of a colleague who used to use a trackball. It was really expensive and looked like a game controller. It was a bitch to use, so much so that he left it on his desk when he left.

Not easy when almost all of rhem only come with a six month guarantee. No choice.

Sounds like your only choice then is to not use a mouse.

Mr Yamada denki was probably just like wft this wild gaijin, seriously what did you expect him to do?

I'm sure your letter to the manufacturer will be effective though. ;)

I need an expensive ish one like I got that has programmable buttons as I do a lot of web site building and design so need a good mouse.

A cheap one is not going to be very useful for me.

As it was not a cheap mouse I expected it to last longer.

The previous laser wireless mouse I had lasted six years not eight months.

So naturally I was expecting similar life expectency especially as technology is always improving.

OK, understand the need - perhaps look into a stylus and digitising tablet? (edit: Wacom style thing) Then you can program the thing to do what you want?

Edited by JA

I have a mouse of about the same vintage - but it gets used for around 4 weeks every year - hardly "regular and constant" use!

The mouse I use regularly - like at least 4 hours a day - has been changed a couple of times a year!

Good clip though! ;)

As for 'mice', I'm still using one from a bout 3 years back and I use it every day.

Actually getting quite gunky, I think I should get a new one.