I just had a pretty nice nighta session at Okutone in Minakami on Monday and wanted to get some opinions on Nighta in Japan. Okutone is not a very big resort, but almost all of it is open at night. A couple of areas aren't lit up, but have just enough light to make them fun and challenging, but not impossible. There are even some nice lit up tree runs that are short, but sweet. Though not really my thing, the park is also pretty nice looking. Some interesting rails and some nice sized jumps. There are also some awesome walls to ride. For the rider who likes a big open area, the majority of the resort is one big open face.

I have only been to Okutone and Norn for nighta and Okutone is much better. Norn is short and though it has some interesting features, the snow isn't as good and it's much less diverse. It is definitely worth the extra 5-10 minute drive for me to go to Okutone.

How much do they charge Gunma Boarder?

They are both 2,100 yen. There is a coupon for Okutone for nighta + 850 yen meal for 2,400 yen. Definitetly doesn't beat your "won coin nighta" at Maiko, but that would be a long after work drive for me :)

The nighta at Niseko is excellent, I enjoyed it at Rusutsu as well, quieter than day riding so Mrs TB was able to get her confidence linking turns. The one time I did it at Naeba i enjoyed it as well, runs are of course short but it started snowing about 3.30-4...just in time for Nighta....and those runs became the best of the day as it was fresh snow and hardly anyone around....just kept lapping the same lift

Doesn't the Hirafu nighta always get featured in the Niseko/Japan segment of snowboarding films? Have done the Furano nighta a couple of times on the Kitanomine side and enjoyed it despite the bitter cold! :D

I think with the weather for this weekend being what it is, I'm going to try to get some Okutone nighta in tonight. I was thinking about it and decided good conditions at Okutone nighta beat slush at a larger resort. I wouldn't say this about all the nightas I've been to, it really puts in to focus for me how much I like the place.

Kashimayari's was well icey last night. Its like the bottom of Route 1 at 47 so quite steep, and definitely nicer with snow on. Quite a good little park at the bottom too.

Goryu's isn't steep but they groom before the nighta, so there's loads of corduroy to carve up and hardly anyone to get in the way. It's much better than during the day when that bit is mega crowded. I should go more with my hard boot board.

I did go to Okutone last night and had a pretty good time. As I was driving up I got a little worried due to the lack of snow in comparrison to a couple weeks ago, but I was able to get some nice tree runs in before the sun set. Snow felt "different" than the amazing powder that has been spoiling many of us, but it was still fun :)

As the sunset, the snow slowly turned to ice which wasn't bad at first, but towards the end of the night I had the bright idea to practice riding switch. At first it was OK, but as the runs hardened it got worse and worse. I took some falls that reminded my of what it was like learning to snowboard. My neck is not happy with me this morning. Oh well :lol: