Absolutely! 1.7 m in Nozawa. 30-40 cm even in Suwa. Nice quality powder too (although I'm uncertain as to whether yaks like yourself care much about powder).

More forecast for tomorrow in the north and north west of Nagano.

The only concern is disruption and typical silly-buggery on the highways, but this is the biggest dump of the season.

Oide-ya!

Man oh man did it dump today.

Headed out to 47 from downtown Nagano in the early AM and it was really coming down. It appears to have dumped in the city all day. Everything is white and the sky is glowing with the reflection of the lights off the snow.

Conditions at 47 were odd. Until about noon the powder was exremely light (as in not heavy) and the ground below was icy. Very hard to ride in because you couldn't bite your edges in and the pow didn't hold you up at all. On top of that you couldn't see the terrrain under the pow so I took a few good ankle shots.

Then about noon the snow stared getting a little wetter and the pow got much better. Great runs in the afternoon. Glad we didn't leave when it was no good.

Probably the worst conditions for avalanches, though, with layer of ice with light powder and then heavy powder. No rope ducking today. Also noticed they had quite a few more ropes up than usual.

Yeah me too. ive been sitting in the office during the day, shovelling at night and Ive got a yucky cold. What to do? Ride tomorrow and feel like crap or lie it out and try to get better.

Miteyak its still dumping in nth Nagano. I went to the ski jumping yesterday and was probably close to 1m of fresh and more snow all night. Get yourself here, it looks soooo nice.

Looks like i'll have to sit this weekend out... Couldn't get me partner to be irresponsible and call a sickie, got a cold as well, but not enough to stop me by itself.

luckily (not that I really trust it but...) forecast for snow all next week, so next weekend...please god please, make it happen...

OK

Thanks

Pints of whipped cream at Nozawa today.

:p

The normal haunts were useless - far too much snow. But the 3 ridge runs were fantastic. There was almost enough snow on them that you could just point your board straight down, tuck, and run. The normally mogulled runs off the ridge runs were also in superb condition.

Winds are very strong at the top, and you need a mask to keep your face warm. Take your hands out of your gloves for a 30 seconds and your fingers will freeze very quickly. The wind turns the snow into little white balls.

I've never seen Nozawa with so much snow, all of it ungroomed. Tomorrow should be good too.