I was reading an article about Hokkaido's bears and how they are related to the large Grizzly bear of Nth America.....has anybody had any contact in the wild with these bears? Or even the smaller black bear on Honshu? Kind of scares the bejesus out of me the thought if bumping into one of these huge animals!! :omg:

Look, even wave to strangers

YBZpm.gif

Obviously, bears like to wave greetings.

It seems to be a top way to get along well with a stranger bear.

I suggest people wave to bears if they meet one. Evidence suggests it works.

I know if I ever meet a bear in the wild, I'm going to wave to him/her.

Hunter dies in suspected bear attack in Hokkaido

Jul. 31, 2008 - 09:55AM JST

HOKKAIDO —

A 67-year-old hunter was found dead on a mountain in Mastue, Hokkaido, on Wednesday morning. Police said they believe he may have been attacked by a bear.

The body of Takeyoshi Okada was found by a rescue helicopter team around 10:20 a.m. after his family reported to local police that he had been missing since July 22. According to police, Okada went to the mountain alone to set a bear trap as part of a local government program to cull the bear population.

Police found his rifle and two empty cartridges beside his body and injuries all over his body which seem to have been caused by a bear. Neighbors heard two gunshots on July 22, police said.

040 !500X333 Hokkaido 153.jpg

Bears are ferocious. Thats why I would not buy anything resembling a bear cuddly toy for the little one. Lest he thinks they are cuddly if he is everer approached by a 3 tonne girzzly piece of murder.

ah Thursday, on a totally different topic, I was meaning to ask you about whether in China, the onsen culture and etiquette is similar to Japan? I was pondering this up in Rusustsu, for me I'd never had an onsen before coming to Japan and wondered if onsen's are part of Chinese culture.

Ah, an onsen culture query in a murderous bear thread. Makes perfect sense.

Hot springs (温泉) exist but not in abundance in China. There is no cultural attachment to this and the springs are just thought of as novel.

The ones I've been to in China do stupid stuff like adding ginseng and herbs to kill the smell. Imagine keeping a hard off in a ginseng bath. Bathing suit the norm, but that won't help.

As a matter of bear interest.... I was born in Churchill, Manitoba Canada which is on the edge of Hudson Bay up in the permafrost of the Canadian arctic. In the fall the polar bears congregate just outside of town waiting for the sea ice to form so they can go out and hunt seals. I remember my dad telling me about having to go on bear duty as the odd bear would wander into town from time to time. He said he never personally had to shoot one but plenty had been taken down during his time there. Going back there and seeing the bears...(from a tundra truck) ....is on my bucket list of things to do before I move on.