Did a rather enjoyable 'Off-piste tour' at Tomamu a few days ago, with 2 guides in a group of 12. They have 3 such tours daily and seem to be quite popular - would love to see other resorts also start doing this.

Now back in Tokyo and wondering how to build on this. This season I'd like to steadily learn more about avalanche awareness, backcountry snowboarding, etc. Any ideas/advice from other people who've been there/done that or in the same situation? Lots to learn, but gotta start somewhere...

Heard something mentioned about 'AG tours' in the previous Kagura thread, but searching Google turned up nothing.

-montoya

Read a book and then decide if you want to learn all that it entails. IT can be a lot of work. The guy in Hakuba puts on courses every year. Nothing beats getting out there with people who know what they are doing. PS if you dont have the gear it does cost a bit for a that you need.

Just now checked out the place in Hakukba (Evergreen Outdoor Center), this seems ideal.. but does anyone know if something similar is offered in the Yuzawa region?? I think there'd be a good niche audience among us Tokyoites...

Will definitely try to pick up a book on backcountry/avalanches and chat up some shop-people in the Tokyo area.

I paid 5000 to stay at sakayu onsen in hakkoda, guided all day and bussed back to the onsen and be fully insured all day in case of death or injury and use any of their full rossignol ski range no extra charge.

glad im not anyware near tokyo!