Hakuba - Nozawa and back in a day

I'm heading to Hakuba in Jan with a couple of people who aren't as enthusiastic about hitting the slopes as I am. I think they may enjoy a day trip to Nozawa (as they may get bored of Hakuba) just to have a look at the place, eat some soba etc. The only problem I'm finding is that there is only one bus per day so they can get there in the morning, but aren't able to get back.

Does anyone have any idea on how to return the same day (in the evening) from Nozawa Onsen to Hakuba? Would something like the chuo taxi do this?

• 2 weeks later...

What makes nozawa great is the MIX of quaint japanese olde town with massive ski resort. If you love both of these things, youll love nozawa. If however you only like one of these things, then you know... its an awesome place to ride, but the town isnt exactly enough to really sustain a trip on its own (unless youre having a date in the snow or something, or you just really like onsen). Youve got tonnes of other stuff you could do. Id say top of the list though for almost every tourist in the area is the snow monkeys. Alas its a pain in the nuts to get to without a car, but hakuba to nagano by bus, then train to yudanaka, then bus from yudanaka station to the monkey onsen. There might actually be a bus direct from nagano station. Might be on a premium price, alas i dont know myself, but head into the train station and youll find the tourist office. Theyll be able to tell you (they have english speakers).

If you want an easier trip of it then just spend the day milling about nagano. Its a bit pokey, but if they dont live in Japan, its nonetheless a japanese city with japanese people and even some contemporary shops and coffee shops to help you orientate yourself. Plus it has the rather marvelous zenkoji temple. Another day trip thats MUCH easier is matsumoto. Which is a bit more bustling in truth. They can head to matsumoto castle and have a blast around the town. Its smaller than nagano city, but its cheaper to get there, its compact and filled to the brim with culture, and its actually a bit more lively than nagano itself. If you were riding in nozawa then sure, its a nice place to kill a few hours instead of sitting in a cafe. But honestly, its better to just send them off to the monkey onsen or to one of the bigger towns nearby.

Thanks.

I've been doing a bit of googling over the past few days and think that a day trip to the monkey onsen would be better (because they want to see that anyway), but then stopping off in Shibu Onsen for lunch and getting that old town feel. I think I have figured out timetables (a bit of a challenge when I know no Japanese) for buses and trains.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just do the organised bus trip from Hakuba to the monkeys and Matsumoto castle, its stops at another place, just cant recall what it is called? Pretty cool day and no drama getting around. If it dumps the night before you can send them and go ride knowing that it will be an easy trip for them?