I ordered some new skis through skis.com a couple days ago. Their shipping policy stated that they shipped to APO/FPO addresses vis USPS, which is great since that takes about 10 days to arrive. After ordering I got a UPS tracking number. Not Good!. UPS and FEDEX don't deliver to APO/FPO so they dump their packages on the USPS in california. USPS then ships them parcel post on the literal slow boat to Japan. Delivery time: 45 days +.

Think I'm going to reorder from another company that ships USPS first class, and return the UPS ski as soon as they arrive rather than keep them for the 2013/14 season.

This is so frustrating as I was hoping to have my new set by next weekend.....hopefully the new order will arrive for Christmas at least.

They do it is american and they get a post office box. The forces dont charge overseas shipping to them. For example some places will ship for free to an APO/FPO or the charge is the price of shipping to California. The other nice thing for them is no import tax troubles

I'd have thought that, if anything, "US military mailing addresses" would shorten to USMMA, not APO/FPO.

:confused:

If only there was a modern interconnected 'web-like' system of worldwide computers containing such information such that we could easily look up things like this.

I'd have thought that, if anything, "US military mailing addresses" would shorten to USMMA, not APO/FPO.

Because an acronym for Armed forces Postal Office is too obscure?

Deadlymonkey, I warrantee you that the package did not go UPS. Your APO is a P.O. box; UPS cannot deliver mail to a P.O. box. This has happened to me before; I get a UPS number but in reality it went USPS.

Again (for clarity because I have not had enough coffee on my system) the only people that can deliver to your APO is USPS, all others will not even try. The only question is whether the company sent it priority mail or parcel post. Chances are everything is kosher and it went out via priority mail.

Deadlymonkey, I warrantee you that the package did not go UPS. Your APO is a P.O. box; UPS cannot deliver mail to a P.O. box. This has happened to me before; I get a UPS number but in reality it went USPS.

Again (for clarity because I have not had enough coffee on my system) the only people that can deliver to your APO is USPS, all others will not even try. The only question is whether the company sent it priority mail or parcel post. Chances are everything is kosher and it went out via priority mail.

The final delivery to me would be USPS, but it is shipped as UPS from the vendor to a USPS handling facility in California. When a vendor uses UPS to an APO address, it goes out using UPS Surepost. UPS delivers it to the postal service, but does not then pay the USPS to deliver it as first class mail. Instead they pay the parcel post rate. The package will then go space available on the next ship to sail for japan which takes 45-60 days or longer. The problem relies entirely in UPS. A vendor map pay UPS a high shipping rate for "priorty" but no matter what, UPS will turn the package over to the USPS as Space Available Parcel Post.

I ended up reordering gear from another location that relaizes this shipping problem (they use UPS or FEDEX in the states, but only USPS priorty for APO) and I will have my stuff in about 10 days. Whenever the first set arrives (February?), it is being returned and I contacted that vendor to let them know already.

Would it stands for 'American forces Postal Office' have been too dry a response, perhaps.