Buying a car/driving a car in Japan NON residents

Not too sure....I heard some story that at some time in the past a Japanese minister had a residence in Canada and wanted to drive without taking a driving test and made some kind of reciprocal legislation deal. Sounds like BS to me but who knows...

What's the reasoning behind the schism, Chris/BM? America's inability to agree to mutually fair bilateral agreement?

I think it has to do with the bilateral agreement bit... but the Japanese minister story is funny and just as likely to be true for all I know :)

Not too sure....I heard some story that at some time in the past a Japanese minister had a residence in Canada and wanted to drive without taking a driving test and made some kind of reciprocal legislation deal. Sounds like BS to me but who knows...
What about that story sounds like BS? Sounds EXACTLY how the world operates!

We have an intersection at lights near our home where one of the branches has been dropped to one way just for maybe the 5 or 6 houses past the lights. Apparently a local government councillor lives in one of those houses and wanted to drop the amount of through traffic. It's a right pain in the toosh!

Back when i first came to Japan and had to get a Japanese license, I didn't have an exit stamp in my passport for a certain country. Because of this -they were not going to issue me with a license until I proved to them that I hadn't got my license in that country and left almost immediately.

It took a few heated words and a quiet phone call for them to change their mind.

What was worse was that I had passed my test 15 years earlier...