Hi Guys

I have a bit of 2nd hand gear that has been washed and needs to we re waterproofed has anyone got any experience or a specific product they could recomend?

seemore

I use the Gear Aid Revivex synthetic fabric cleaner concentrate and follow with the same brand wash-in water repellent concentrate. After use you can pour water onto the fabric and even make pools of water and let them stand and it just all pours off leaving the fabric completely dry.

ive used that Nikwax stuff a couple of times.

no real gauge on the effectiveness. but to give you a base line, im only just now thinking about replacing my 4 year (100 days a year) old ski pants, because theyve somehow shrunk while sitting in the cupboard (hehe).

i dont know at all, but perhaps the damage has already been done by washing with normal detergents?

I've been thinking the same RE my jacket.....it's been 5 seasons worth and starting to look a bit rough round the edges....I was still dry inside BUT the outside was visibly soaked....like it was just at its saturation point and no more. I've always used Nikwash.....but looks like a bottle of Fairy liquid to me

I use the nikwax products, tech wash to clean them, and follow up with a run through of the waterproofing. (softshell I think it's called)

It's pretty pircey, because you will use a whole bottle if you have a few jackets and pants, but there's no doubt it works, and it's easy to use (goes in the washing machine)

My clothes still breath after washing and waterproofing using nikwax...

from their product page: Adds / renews water repellency and revives breathability of all soft-shell garments

can't remember if I used the hard shell or the soft shell product. I bought it from a ski shop so just took what they told me I needed!

yeah, it's been 12 months since I used the product, but basically there's two bottles, one which is a soap like one that you chuck in the washing machine, for a wash, that's supposed to clean but be safe for waterproofing, then a second time through the washing machine with the waterproofing product. and then I ran the washing machine empty with detergent just to clean it out, seemed to work well for me.

I don't think you need to waterproof them after each wash with the tech wash. the instructions on the bottle were pretty clear.

I use Atsko Sportwash and it has revived old gear that I thought was completely gone.

From what I hear other brands work equally well, but it's very important to never use regular detergent. It will clog up the pores and leave a residue on the outer layer's water-repellency treatment.

After a weekend or trip away I'll give all the gear a wash in this stuff. Then about once a year use the Nikwax spray-on repellency stuff to put back some water proof coating.