Is Hokkiado worth a trip in December 10 to 23rd

Personally, I divide December into thirds. 12/1-10 unlikely, 12/11-20 possible, 12/21-31 probable.

``Most'' seasons you can expect good to very good conditions at Niseko after 12/20.

Sometimes conditions are acceptable to good from 12/10.

Once in a while conditions are acceptable from 12/1.

*Note: the descriptions above are IMHO, YMMV

Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai are rumored to be the best Hokkaido resort bets for early snow, and the rumors are probably true but I have no experience with either prior to the last third of December.

People have been skiing/boarding at Happo-One in Nagano since yesterday, according to images I viewed on webcams that can be accessed from the main SnowJapan.com site. I cannot guarantee the authenticity of the images, though I have found them dependable in the past.

All the above is the personal opinion/experience of the poster, and is in no way to be construed as having the approval of SnowJapan.com or any of its personnel, or of any other visitors or posters to the SnowJapan.com Forums, or any of the above-named resorts, or of any other individual or group, or their pets.

Like anywhere, early season snow can be hit or miss from season to season. I've never gone to any of the Hokkaido resorts as early as Dec 10, usually closer to the 20th and it has been a mixed bag of stepping off the bus into a winter wonderland, rain and bullet proof ice and having to wait a few days for good accumulation. It's probably best to wait as long as possible to make a decision on something like that...

Kiroro does get the best early snow in the area in my experience.

A couple of seasons back, Niseko Hirafu tour providers were bussing guests to Kiroro when there was poor coverage in Grand Hirafu.

+1 to Black Mountain's advice of leaving it as late as you can to decide.

At this stage the Nagano area is a better bet. They have what looks like a good base developing.

Kiroro and Kokusai do well early because they have significantly higher resort bases than say Niseko or Rusutsu. So whilst you may be struggling to ski out to the base at Niseko things are often well underway at Kiroro or Kokusai.

Quite a lot of snow forecast for the Shiribeshi region over the coming week so they'll be building their base as well.

The earliest I've been to Niseko is 17th December I think. And that season, it was fully on. In fact, the hotel emailed us in November telling us the snow had arrived in deepness.

The best early start in the years I was there was the mountain opening on 19 Nov with 70cm cover at the base and well over a metre up top.