Hi everyone,

I am planning a family trip for 2 weeks to Japan in Feburary and was hoping for advice on what cross country skiing is like in Japan. Are there lots of trails or will we be stuck doing small loops? We all know how to ski well and don't want to take lessons or do a 'tour package' - we'd much rather explore the trails ourselves. In Australia we ski 10 - 20 km when we go out.

Any advice on the best places to go for cross country skiing (I have been recommended Sappora where the World Loppet race is run)?

Thanks all

Loads of trails in Hakuba, notably the Olympic cross country stadium which has a 5 and a 10km course and loads of little variations off them. There are also fantastic views off the 5km trail at the top of Minekata on the opposite side of the valley to the main Japan Alps. Both are groomed. The cross country stadium has a short season, but you should be okay for coverage in February.

I can see that, but those things are hardly exclusive to cross-country skiing are they.

I guess it's like the difference between jogging around a track and cross-country/trail running.

loucat (or anyone), what's the appeal of cross country? It kind of just seems like hard work to me.

If you're the kind of person that likes cycling or bush walking then you'll like cross country skiing. The appeal is the same as any other kind of physical activity, plus you usually get to see some beautiful views that not many other people make the effort to get out and see...But each to their own.

Cheers,

Lou

Thanks for the advice on Hakuba and Myoko...much appreciated and I shall continue my internet seaching!

I always want to know what the deal is with schools and ski resorts - like in Yuzawa where there's tons of choice, what dictates which skijo the kids go to for their lessons?

Not people visiting from afar, but the local kids.

One school in Hakuba Minami Sho has its own gelende and rope tow. The PTA grooms and runs the lift. The Teacher and the PTA teach skiing in PE class.

KIta sho has a ski jump 20meters they teach ski jumping from grade 4. The school has ski days but not many. The different grades all go to different resorts to allow for balance. Same goes for the JHS the 3 grades go to 3 different resorts. The kids all can buy discounted passes from the local government. They are super cheap and cover every resort in town. Kids in kindie can apply to the local ski school for the local discount, 50% off all lessons at that age only. So a full day is 3000 yen a day. Remember that many of these kids go on to becoming part of the Ski school staff in the future so the ski school invests in this.