Hello everyone,

I am a complete newbie here and hope all of you can help giving a bit comments here.

I will be doing snowboard in Japan during late December (after X'mas) and are struggling between Hakuba and Shiga Kogen.

Basically I know some facts about these 2 places.

Hakuba has several different ski fields which are closely connected (e.g. Hakuba47, Happo-One and others) while Shiga Kogen is a huge huge one. And Hakuba seems more famous (at least for western people) than Shiga Kogen. And Hakuba has more restaurant and local people life while Shiga Kogen has just hotels in the ski fields and no restaurant or local residence at all. Also, the stay in Shiga Kogen seems generally higher than Hakuba and most of them are hotels and not hostel or cozy guesthouse. Shiga Kogen is close to the Shibu Onsen and snow monkeys which make it a good detour.

I hope my understanding about is correct and please let me know if it's not.

I am a beginner in snowboard, so I will be looking for some easy to intermediate routes for me. Also, I need to rent all the gears and jacket / pants.

Could you please give me some pros and cons for each of the places? Such as accommodation / snow quality / crowds / convenience... or whatever you think it's relevant.

Thank you very much for the comments.

Franky

Both are great snow areas. In SK there are loads of hotels but the accommodation hubs offer practically nothing after the lifts stop. Hakuba on the other hand has a well established village scene that offers eats and drinks well into the wee hours of the night. Id recommend Hakuba over SK for a Japan newbie....it's more western like for the first timer. It depends on what u are looking for......just for riding or a few days off doing something else

True......but they can be avoided. I just think though that if you are expecting a Europe-style ski experience....ie things to do after the lifts go off...being in SK could be a big let down to them. 2 weeks (I'm assuming this length) could send u stir crazy in your hotel

Hey, I love this forum! Got useful replies so instantly!

Thank you so much for the replies.

Indeed, I am NOT a Japan newbie. I have been Japan for many times and I know Japanese culture quite well and I know a bit of Japanese and Kanji (Chinese characters)

I am just a snowboard newbie, I learned it last winter in Korea and therefore this year would like to continue practicing.

So, considering the above, will Hakuba or SK justify more? I know there is no night life at all in SK. But I am ok with it.

My main concern is the snow quality, the slope difficulty (we are beginner), the crowd and other things that you may think relevant.

Hope to hear more comments

Franky

If you are ok with the no nightlife part then I would say that both resorts are as good as each other. SK doesn't get as MUCH snow as Hakuba, but it is a high resort and the snow quality is awesome. Hakuba has a number of resorts to choose from but they aren't linked on the same ticket. For beginners I'd say they would be very little to choose from between the 2 resorts but IMO Hakuba is the busier of the 2 and u r more likely to get less crowded slopes at Shiga Kogen. If you choose Shiga Kigen, I advise staying the Ichinose area, it's pretty much in the middle of the SK area, it has a decent hub if hotels with their own restaurants and bars for you to have a minor semblance of nightlife and the Ichinose family, Ichinose diamond, Takamagahara and Tanne no Mori slopes should keep you happy as beginners. If you do get more adventurous then the nearby yakebitaiyama and terakoya will keep u challenged

Thanks for that, Tubby.

To be frank, I find the accommodation in SK is generally more expensive than Hakuba, mainly because most of them are hotels and you are somehow forced to take the breakfast and dinner at the hotel (because I know there is no restaurant there), which makes the price more expensive.

If I stay in Sun Valley (I found one family hotel which is not really expensive), is this the location where the public bus (those that comes from Nagano or Yudanaka) stops? And if I want to go from Sun Valley to Ichinose area, is it true that I can take the SK free shuttle bus to there? I assume it's not a long ride, probably 10-20 minutes?

Yeah its down the resort a bit. I think that is the bus stop from Yudanaka but I'm not sure. The shuttle bus don't take so long to get from hub to hub. You can also ride up there using the lifts if you wanted too. Yeah there are more budget options in Hakuba, a couple of backpacker like places that may well be up your alley. To be honest, if it is money thats the deciding factor then I wouldn't worry about which resort you go to.....both are excellent. Find a hotel in your price range and go for that, I don't think you'll be disappointed at either Hakuba or SK. Hakuba does have more eating options and the snow is usually excellent. I'm not really advocating one over the other in terms of snow, I think whatever one you choose, the conditions are usually very reliable. It seems that it'll be decided on other factors for you :thumbsup:

**just realised that your coming late December.......conditions may not be full on at that time...still in the fickle hands of the snow gods. That said there is usually decent coverage and around New Year it seems that the big storm systems start to consistently roll in.

And if I want to go from Sun Valley to Ichinose area, is it true that I can take the SK free shuttle bus to there? I assume it's not a long ride, probably 10-20 minutes?

Sounds about right. Or, you can ski it!

Thanks for all the comments.

Hope the snowfall will be enough for snowboarding beginner by late December.

I will take your advice - wait as long as possible to decide on Hakuba or SK.

But one thing is that I need to book the accommodation in advice!!!

There will be snow...you will be able to ride but its not gonna be nipple deep pow....being a beginner that'll be cool. To be honest, you'll enjoy both places.....I'd start looking for a hotel in your price range and if you find one then I reckon that'll be ok for either resort to book. I was in Hakuba last new year and there was plenty snow, just not the fresh kind I was in Shiga Kogen over new year a few years back and the first day was snow but no fresh then it puked some the best snow I've had the pleasure to ride in. There will be snow to ride, of that I'm sure

In my mind

accommodation - more choice in Hakuba and more going on when it gets dark

snow quality - both can be great, personally when I have been Shiga Kogen wins

crowds - Shiga Kogen not as busy in my experience

convenience - about the same distance from Nagano

Thank you so much for all the comments.

I have decided to stay at Shiga Kogen for my snowboarding (beginner level)

In terms of location (ease of access and considering we are beginner snowboarder), which one would be a better choice:-

Villa Alpen

Aspen Shiga

Best

Franky

Shiga Kogen is huge, so it'd be a shame to just stick to one area of the slopes, even if you are a beginner. For me, higher up the mountain would be better especially at the start of the season. I assume you've picked these hotels as they fit your budget, but I would reiterate that I personally feel the Ichinose area is best for hotels and access to different slopes. That being said you can ride the lifts up to whichever part you wanna hit up when your confidence starts to rise.

Shiga Kogen is huge, so it'd be a shame to just stick to one area of the slopes, even if you are a beginner. For me, higher up the mountain would be better especially at the start of the season. I assume you've picked these hotels as they fit your budget, but I would reiterate that I personally feel the Ichinose area is best for hotels and access to different slopes. That being said you can ride the lifts up to whichever part you wanna hit up when your confidence starts to rise.

Hi Tubby,

I remember you said Ichinose area is best for beginners and access to different slopes. Those 2 hotels that I mentioned has a cozy feeling and affordable prices, that's why I asked for comments.

But I found out that the Ichinose area also has some hotels which are not as expensive as I expected. So, right now I am exploring this area and sending requests to look for a good place to stay.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I made it and came back from Japan safely.

Finally I stayed at Sun Valley. And as expected, Shiga Kogen is HUGE. I agreed that Ichinose is probably the best place to stay because it has quite a lot different slopes around it (from beginner to expert)

And for those who love hotspring and traditional Japanese ryokan culture in Japan, please do try to stay a night at Shibu Onsen after the skiing / snowboarding. The area has traditional Japanese feeling and great hotspring. Also it's close to the snow monkey park.

Cheers

Franky