Help - blown ACL with Trip booked for January 2013

Hi

Firstly this is my first post to SnowJapan but I have been using this site for quite some time and have always found it a great source of information regarding skiing in Japan so thanks for all the past info I have gleaned.

3 weeks ago I injured my knee skiing at Mt Hotham - partial tears to MCL and LCL with a suspected complete tear to ACL. I am currently in a immobilising splint for 6 weeks (3 down 3 to go) with physio and surgery (more than likely) to come. Unfortunately my husband and I are already booked to go to Japan in January 2013 for 3 weeks - 1 week Nozawa Onsen, 1 week Shiga Kogen and 1 week Myoko Kogen. This will be our 3rd ski trip to Japan (Hakuba and Nozawa previously) and I really don't want to cancel as we are going with friends for a 50th birthday celebration as well.

Whilst I fully (very reluctantly) accept that skiing in January is off the cards for me regardless of whether I have had surgery or not - I am desperately looking at alternative activities that will allow me to still have fun on the snow.

Have looked at the Trikke Skki as a potential low impact and fun thing for me to take to the slopes and am wondering if anyone out there has an opinion as to whether this would be any good. Also if the skki is a good alternative for me then will the resorts at Nozawa, Shiga and Myoko allow it on the snowfields, onto the lifts and into the gondola?

If anyone has any to share it would be greatly appreciated. :sjcool:

Sorry to hear about the knee. I was just recently diagnosed with a half-torn ACL, from a spill taken a couple of years ago.

Instead of surgery, the doctor is recommending strengthening exercises in the lead-up to ski season.

Interestingly, last year I skied every weekend in that condition with very little problem -- I had done some strengthening exercises on my own before the season started, and the skiing itself seemed to help. (But I'm no hotdogger.) My knee only started bothering me again after the season was over, when I was no longer getting that regular leg-strengthening exercise.

Your case sounds more severe, but I wonder if some kind of knee brace might allow you to at least do some easy skiing?

That trikke skki thing looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to go up the learning curve on it with a bum knee... Think I'd almost prefer to stick to familiar skis under those conditions, but take it easy instead. Would that be an option at all in your case?

anterior cruciate ligament -- basically, the elastic cord that holds the whole knee joint together.

Bummer of an injury MeekaNik, hope you get rapid and full recovery.

Just looked at the demo video and frankly wouldn't go near one of those even with two good knees (then again I am a notorious coward!)

First, welcome :)

Second, bummer about the knee injury :(

Third, in answer to your question... I rode a similar contraption a couple of times this season - it was a snow 'bike', the handles were lower than the trikke skki (because I think the bikes were aimed at kids...whoops!) but the riding action was similar. It had quite a telemark style of action to it, rather than the parallel downhill action - I would think it would put more pressure on your knee that just taking it easy on skis you are familiar with.

Hubby was back on a snowboard 6 months after ACL surgery, but he wore an articulated knee brace (we called it his bionic knee) for two years before he felt confident enough in his knee to resume activity without it. Another mate, very good skier, is currently skiing with partial tears in a brace...he got off crutches on Wednesday, was skiing with me on Friday. But going gently.

Another suggestion to add to the mix. I have had a few skiing friends switch to snowboarding for the sake of thier knees. They find the torsional stress to be less, and therefore create fewer problems with already dodgy knees.

Good luck with the recovery!

Keep us posted on what you choose to do, and how it works out.

I wouldnt condsider doing the snow bike at all. If you fall your knee will be at risk. I think you have to come to terms with the fact that you cant ski on this Holiday.

I know that sucks it really really really does but you cant ski or slide on the snow. You could however do some low level Snowmobile stuff. Lion adventure does

alot in the nagano area. Actually contacting them or even Evergreeon about other activities that might suit your needs isnt a bad idea.

Hope the recovery goes well.

I had the LARS surgery in september and rode japan without incident in early feb, could have easily done january. If you have the hamstring op you will not be riding at all. Go Lars and dont look back.

Another suggestion to add to the mix. I have had a few skiing friends switch to snowboarding for the sake of thier knees. They find the torsional stress to be less, and therefore create fewer problems with already dodgy knees.

That may be true but I think there's a much greater risk of ankle injuries (I tore my ankle ligaments), so I'd be inclined to give both a miss.

I had the LARS surgery in september and rode japan without incident in early feb, could have easily done january. If you have the hamstring op you will not be riding at all. Go Lars and dont look back.

Hadn't heard about this, so just looked it up online and it's interesting reading!

As for other things, apart from the ol' snow monkeys, I think I'd be tempted to leave the resorts and do something non-winter sports-related. You've got plenty of time, so assuming that you didn't make it there on your previous trips, how about heading down to Kyoto for a week of R&R?

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out MeekaNik!! :thumbsup:

Jeez Mick, what were you doing to tear your ankle ligaments?

One foot in only? Or busting the moves in the park?

I have never had an issue with my ankles...broken ribs, broken wrist, concussion, sore butt, sore knees and fingers/hands, but never the ankle.

Jeez Mick, what were you doing to tear your ankle ligaments?

One foot in only? Or busting the moves in the park?

I have never had an issue with my ankles...broken ribs, broken wrist, concussion, sore butt, sore knees and fingers/hands, but never the ankle.

Nothing as cool as that!! Went end-over-end after crash-landing a jump, until the tail of my board decided to dig into the snow! :D Have also done all of your boarding injuries but no pain, no gain, right MB! :thumbsup: