• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let the heat screw your decision making up though Chriselle.

It can do strange things this horrid part of the year.

For sure.... It's really ironic...I want to move because of the heat.....but I can't move (my body) because of the heat. :rolleyes:

I'd ask the wife first as well.... ;)

My wife would be on the first flight out. As it is now it's me clawing at the ground with my wife on one leg and my daughter on the other pulling me while chanting incessantly ...."Take us to Canada...Take us to Canada!!"

I'd ask the wife first as well.... ;)

My wife would be on the first flight out. As it is now it's me clawing at the ground with my wife on one leg and my daughter on the other pulling me while chanting incessantly ...."Take us to Canada...Take us to Canada!!"

I've been hearing that a lot lately from my wife as well... somewhat tempting :)

:lol:

Whys that Chriselle?

She's Japanese, right?

Oh man....she's been ready to jump ship off this leaky boat since before we were married more than a decade ago. Now that our daughter is in grade 4 the pressure is on to get her the hell out of here before all the junior high school silliness we all know so well.

Friends of mine here in Perth did just that.

Hubby a Perth boy, met his beautiful wife studying in the US, she a Tokyo girl.

Married and returned to a fabulous life in Tokyo for a decade or more.

It was when the pressures of cram school started piling on that they decided to get the hell out of Dodge, thier two boys attend school with mine. Our school would be considered a high pressure, high commitment environment, and the boys still attend Kumon - but it is a darn sight more chilled that they would have back in Tokyo.

Ski, I kinda think there is a little truth in the old saying that the 'Devil makes use of idle hands'.

Busy kids are generally good kids.

It's the ones with a heap of time on thier hands, nothing to do, and no direction that end up running amok.

It's a broken system. There should be no need for jukus, private tutors or kumon.

The school year is SO out of sync with the weather its just a complete sad pathetic joke. Ironically, when the weather is perfect in the Spring schools are wasting it all on picturesque graduation ceremonies, weeks long vacation and new school year commencement ceremonies and orientation. Lets not forget the oh so vital shugakko ryoko. So when June rolls around students are digging into studies and then the mercury starts to rise and everyone is just a sweaty mess in their non air conditioned sweat box classrooms including the burnt out zombie like teachers.

That crap lasts until October but by then the students will have run around the field hundreds of times during every lunch break and after school spanning weeks ...in preparation for the school sports event day. In no time flat it's December and the mercury has plunged and the kids sit huddled essentially in the fetal position at their desks trying to stay warm in their frigid cold icebox classrooms all the while sticking strictly to the uniform dress code. This lasts until the end of February and then it all starts again.

Meanwhile to try to keep up at least half of them will be going to cram school until 10 at night 3 or four times a week.

Ya.....awesome system.

The education system, and 'bringing up decent human beings' are two different things though aren't they?

You can have a respectful, exhausted and slightly psychologically damaged child, in the same way that you can have a disrespectful horror of a human being who has learned plenty of academics and led a fairly stress free childhood...

It's trying to find the balance, and the balance that works for the INDIVIDUAL - no two kids are going to respond well to the same stuff...

The education system, and 'bringing up decent human beings' are two different things though aren't they?

Well yes I agree.

But the education system/environment surely helps.

I'm just saying that for all the critisisms and issues, there is also a lot of good in the system here as well and society in general benefits from that.

yeah....much less chance of my kid turning out to be a glue-sniffing, pill popping junkie kid over here than if we were back in Bonnie Dundee. Sure I turned out ok, and most of my family and friends are the same......its just that horrible junkie factor that bugs me about when I go back home. Things seem to be getting worse every time I go back. Also the weather is cruddy.......not just cold, but pishing down rain at almost every opportunity. I could never live in the city over here, I need a bit of countryside/nature and think kids do too. Thats why I like Shonan, on the beach, Tanzawa mountains not far away and very close to Yokohama and Tokyo so's that its not TOO countryside

I know someone who kind of did that. Lived in Japan a long time and then moved back thinking it would be a good move.

From what I gather he has totally regretted the move and wishes he were back in Japan.

Didn't know what he had until he left it behind, so to speak.

And it's Mr. Wiggles for the win. :clap: :clap: Send me your address and I'll send you your consolation prize.

That's right.... I could be driving the big rigs in the next few years. I'm thinking of getting my first class air brakes certification next summer.

I've just noticed this. Wahey! I'll send you a message later on.

Do you have a place in Canadia? It sounds mad expensive for a house there at the moment. If you've not got one, it might be worth renting for a bit to see the boom out.

And it's Mr. Wiggles for the win. :clap: :clap: Send me your address and I'll send you your consolation prize.

That's right.... I could be driving the big rigs in the next few years. I'm thinking of getting my first class air brakes certification next summer.

I've just noticed this. Wahey! I'll send you a message later on.

Do you have a place in Canadia? It sounds mad expensive for a house there at the moment. If you've not got one, it might be worth renting for a bit to see the boom out.

You bet...send me a PM.. :wave:

No, we don't have a place but we were looking. YES, it's really crazy expensive ....always has been, always will be. At least where I grew up in Victoria and Vancouver. We would probably rent until we determined exactly where we wanted to be BUT I hate renting so I'd be house hunting ASAP.

Definitely and confidently....

Undecided.. I blame it on JellyBelly.... :angry: ... ;)

I know someone who kind of did that. Lived in Japan a long time and then moved back thinking it would be a good move.

From what I gather he has totally regretted the move and wishes he were back in Japan.

Didn't know what he had until he left it behind, so to speak.

Important things to consider:

- availability of pies

- hot chicks eye candy :evilgrin:

- availability of Yorkie bars (if you be a trukka!)

- availability of earthquakes

Oh yeah, and the winter goodness.