Speed bumps & cameras. And other annoyances 'back home'.

Really don't like the increase in the number of roads with "speed bumps" on them back home in the last few years.

They are just so annoying though they certainly do their job. Would hate to live on a road that has them though.

The other thing I noticed the last few years is just how many speed cameras there are.

They are literally everywhere in England these days.

Or just the signs that warn you of them. All over the place.

Hardly EVER see any of them in Japan.

Driving feels very restrictive somehow these days over there.

Perhaps that accounts for how drivers seem to very quickly get annoyed and give you the 'vanker' sign and hit the horn so much. Talk about aggressive!

/rant

I agree. I don't think I was nabbed at all by cameras but unless you drive like a grandad in his 80's, there's lots of luck - or otherwise - involved.

There's some bumps on the main road in our little village area. A right pain though locals know how to avoid them. It's a tiny, quiet place anyway with hardly any through traffic, so them putting them there seems.... just a bit useless really.

Are these things as prevelant in other countries?

Almost every private carpark in Oz has speed bumps at entry and exit (as well as throughout) They also have boom gates etc.

Some local roads have speed humps as well - but they are only where there's a history of speeding/street racing (Or so we're told!)

Fixed speed cameras located at "well known accident blackspots", mobile speed cameras (aka "hairdryers") in many police patrol cars, and "static" cameras in unmanned cars, moved around across the state of NSW and left to automatically ping anyone over 4kph above the limit.

People live with them here now I think. There's just so many you have got to be careful basically everywhere. Which I suppose means they do their job.

My friend got caught by one and had a choice of a fine and points on his licence (higher insurance), or going to a 3 hour lecture.

He chose the lecture.

Haven't been caught myself.

Its not car-related, but my biggest annoyance/source of stress is the whole paedo thing. I suspect a lot of it is press sensationalism, but I become much more wary of my kids wandering off out of sight. Quite often they run, so you've got to be on your toes. Anyway, it makes it hard to relax when you're at the shops or even just at the park.

In Japan, there's a program on tv celebrating kids running their first errand to the shops or grandma's house twenty minutes away when they are three or four.

We have red light cameras in the states. Expect about a $300 fine for setting one off.

Yeah, red-light cameras here too. Mainly in the cities, not so many out in the regional cities.