Speed? (This might be a stupid question, but....)

It depends person to person and the equipment you use. Hard question to answer. If it comes down to pure proven speed, speed sking is the fastest none motorized sport. There are guys who do it on boards but not as fast yet......

missyle, are you looking for speed or what? And are you riding anything yet?

FWIW, the speeds that I achieve on my snowboard may not be spectacular by other people's standards, but they make me panic good 'n proper at times...

the average intermediate skier goes way faster than the average intermediate boarder, at least on groomed runs, in the powder it is about the same.

i realized this when riding with danz on a groomer, and he just pointed and shot down the mountain, twice as fast as me on my board.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
If it comes down to pure proven speed, speed sking is the fastest none motorized sport. There are guys who do it on boards but not as fast yet......
Yep, true.

Just for info (and because I'm stuck in the office with nothing better to do), the current speed ski world record is 248.105 km/h.
On a snowboard it's 201.907 km/h.
Not bad. ;\)

skiing for sure, I do both and there is no way I could keep up with self on skis if my clone was on a board. But its a rare opportunity to really let loose,best time is the very first run of the day and you are the first man on the lift and there is a sweet groomer with no one on it then you can really let rip but be careful, as others have said you can do some serious damage as the speed picks up.

At the Ski Jumping the other day, most guys were recorded as hitting the jump at 90km/h. They were jumping up to 130m.

Downhillers go faster and often fly over 50m off lips, even though they try to flatten their jumps and stay in the tuck.

200kph? Sounds like twenty minutes on the lifts for 30 seconds on your skis. eek.gif

If I ever get up to 160km/h, I bet my butt area will change colour too....

i tore the capsule of my knee on a slope in NZ that the Austrian downhill team used for summer practice. they apparently liked it icy. my guess is skis like speed and ice more than boards... but of course if speed is what your about u should be looking at an alpine board for comparisons.