Hi there!

First post here, hoping someone can help. We are planning on going to Niseko for 3 weeks Dec - Jan. Wondering what you'd recommend for best snow and riding mountains. We are fairly advanced snowboarders looking for some powder and fun terrain. Wide, open spaces are great. Spent a few seasons in NIseko but haven't ventured out. Anyone have any comments on Rusutsu or Furano as a place to go for a week or so? It seems to be a bit cheaper here, probably because of lack of Aussies?

Any other suggestions welcome!

Rusutsu rules, never been to furano but not interested in being chased for going off piste which I understand does happen on occasion. You can literally do what you want at rusutsu and not get into trouble.

What he said!

RUSUTSU!

For the win.

Also have not been to Furano, and would like to do that one day...but if you are looking for off piste then Rusutsu is your go.

You won't regret a week at Rusutsu.

If you go to Furano, it is probably best to plan on several day trips to other nearby resorts if you want off piste action. Furano town is pretty cool, not many westerners around, enough that most places have English menus, but very few places have English speaking staff (but this adds to the experience imho). Furano resort has some very good pisted runs, and if you get some fresh snow they do leave fairly wide sides ungroomed on some pistes, but if you are after the off piste terrain then you will probably get bored of the place pretty quickly, unless you are ducking ropes, in which case you run the risk of having your pass taken off you. The exception to this is that tour groups seem to have no issues, there might be some sort of arrangement with the resort management there, so you could always consider joining a tour group.

Rusutsu is good for 3 - 5 days. You wouldn't want to spend 10 days there like you could at Niseko & not cheaper.

Unlike Niseko, out of bounds is a bit of an unknown for most visitors, as there is so much safer inbounds offpiste. No nightlife.

For me, Furano is more of a skiers mountain. But the locals do get some good OOB lines though.

Get a van & include a few days at Tomamu, Kamui & maybe Kiroro. Spend the rest of the time at Niseko.

Like everyone has been saying Rusutsu is definitely great. I have had many amazing days there. The only problem is that Rusutsu generally (last year not the case) gets 70% (ballpark figure) of the snow the Niseko area gets. While it's still a lot by global standards, there is still a higher chance of getting deeper snow at Niseko. With that said, I have had many thigh-chest deep days and there is a whole lot less people at Rusutsu.

Furano is great in March, but it gets really cold in central Hokkaido throughout January/February. The visibility is not something you want to count on either and more than likely you will have a week of bad weather for every 1 bluebird day. Furano is empty though and has some incredible terrain with a good amount of snow.

Niseko is great. There's a reason it is popular. If you have backcountry knowledge/experience or hire a guide you can see a side of Niseko that has literally been some of the greatest skiing I have ever done anywhere. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

If you go to Furano, it is probably best to strategy on several day visits to other close by hotels if you want off piste activity. Furano city is quite awesome, not many people around, enough that most locations have British choices, but very few locations have British discussing team. Furano hotel has some very excellent pisted operates, and if you get some clean snowfall they do keep quite large factors ungroomed on some pistes, but if you are after the off piste geography then you will probably get tired of the position quite easily, unless you are ducking rules, in which situation you run the chance of having your complete taken off you. The exemption to this is that trip categories seem to have no problems, there might be some kind of agreement with the position control there, so you could always consider becoming a member of a trip team.

• 4 months later...

I've seen the most snow in my life at Rusutsu. While I'm not trying to compare the gnarly terrain of Whistler, I've definitely had more fun at Rusutsu. There's just something special there. As people stated, do a few days here and head over to Niseko. Niseko has way more traffic, so everything does get tracked out.

• 1 month later...

Hit Rusutsu it's great, but also the smaller fields near Niseko are great - Moiwa, Chisanpurri and Niseko Weiss (not exactly sure of the spelling, but you'll find them). In Furano they were definitely pulling passes this season (2013), duck the ropes at your own risk.

Rusutsu is overated the best snow I ever got was in Niseko if it snows you can lap the same runs day in and day out anywhere, if it doesn't snow don't think that Rusutsu somehow got the snow and it missed Niseko.

It is now getting really busy due to the day trippers from Niseko and is now full on Aussie dickheads I saw heaps of arguments and bad attitudes this year.

Never been to Furano but Niseko is the go

Seriously don't know what the fuss is about Rusutsu. It's just plain Jane in the swimsuit competion of ski resorts.

I'd pluck for Niseko anytime, everytime. It's the place to be and the place to be seen at. Please consider staying right there.