• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember hearing that.

I remember someone (SJ1?) mentioning that there were plans to have the Kanetsu Expressway extend to Naeba (or an IC going from Tsuchitaru to Naeba anyway).... that being the reason Prince had that tiny Tsuchitaru skijo just on the Yuzawa side of the Kanetsu tunnel.

That sucks, although I can't imagine hauling luggage on/off a ropeway would be easy. It's hard enough with trains and buses.

The local train would be ok in some regards (seeing some different scenery), but the bus from SK to Nozawa takes an 1hr 10min and costs 7900Y each. Then the local train (on JR Pass) takes around 4 hrs (248mins). So all up, nearly 5.5hrs wasted in transit. Compare that to 1hr 10min bus from SK to Nagano (2000Y), then 100mins on the shinkansen (total 170mins), I know which one I'd prefer.

Given the timetable of the bus, we could do the following..

Leave Ichinose 8.30am,

Arrive Nagano

Get on Shinkansen at 10am and be at Echigo-Yuzawa by 12.00.

That's not too bad.

That sucks, although I can't imagine hauling luggage on/off a ropeway would be easy. It's hard enough with trains and buses.

I'm not following........ what sucks, Sciclone?

Yes I'm afraid that does sound like an astoundingly bad idea and can't even imagine it was even planned seriously.

The flipping Dragondola is close to empty most days weekdays in season, can't see that even being such a great investment never mind a 25km one! (Correct me if I'm wrong there anyone)

I'm not sure if you are actually implying anything there, but weekends it is gara-gara (not many people).

I can't see why most people use it to be honest.

Both Naeba and Kagura are way big enough for over a day, going between one and the other during a day seems like a waste of time to me.

I can see it makes it easy for Naeba people to get to Kagura but seriously are there THAT many of those?

me too Muika. You can definitely spend a day or more at either resort and not need to go over.....If you are in Naeba and want to hit Kagura, again I can understand that after a day or 2, you'd be better getting the bus, taxi or pension van round the road as often the Dragondola doesn't open until after 10 and you may have missed the good stuff at Kags.

The idea of the Dragondola sounds really cool, but in reality it doesn't seem to serve that much of a purpose does it. Certainly not to justify the cost of the thing.

Don't they even run it in summer?

No, they don't.

This year the Dragondola will be operating 6th October until 4th November (cost 2000 yen) for the autumn colours - the hotel doesn't even open during that period.

Out of ski season and Fuji Rock, Naeba is generally very quiet.

I took a ride on the Dragondola this season and kind of agree.

It seemed to suck up a fair amount of time and I wouldn't want to be using it more than once.

I think if I were in that area for a few days, I'd use the bus too early morning and stay in the one place, ie Kagura or Naeba. They are both easily worth a day.

Thanks for that insight.

I was looking at fitting boarding at Naeba and Kagura for one day, but if there is enough at both to warrant a day each, I may have to rethink my plans.

My plans were:

1/2 day ski at Gala/Ishiuchi (Someone said to not really bother with Yuzawa Kogen, would you?)

1 day Naeba & Kagura (can buy joint ticket)

1 day Iwappara & Joetsu Kik (can buy joint ticket)

1 day at?? (perhaps Centleisure Maiko)

How would you go about it? I don't have any more time than that available (3 1/2 days), but would be interested on hearing everyones thoughts on what to do, what to leave out, which areas aren't worth the time.

Gala/Yuzawa Kogen/Ishiuchi is a fairly big area and too big for an afternoon, you wouldn't see it all. You'd want to cut out the Yuzawa Kogen bit there I reckon. Use Gala as the way up as it has the cool Shinkansen / Gondola station. And it's near the Emergency Telephone Box. But only do it on a weekday!

And I agree.

If you only have a half day for Gala/Ishiuchi, then I'd probably just stay in Gala and head over to the south area if its open. Definitely the best part IMO.....only thing is they don't seem to open the top bit very often which is really frustrating, cos that really improves what you can ride. If its not open then you could probably do a few runs in both Ishiuchi and Gala. (I don't really like the rest of Gala TBH)

What about Iwappara? Is it worth a whole day, or just half?

Reason I ask is that is where our accommodation is located. So we can get the hotel to pick us up from the station and we can spend half the day doing Iwappara instead. I still want to do Joetsu Kokusai, but I'm still trying to get a handle on which resorts are worth our time and which ones aren't.

For me, a half day.

BUT, I have been there well over 10 times. AND often only do half days.

It's a great resort for beginners, perhaps the best. There is less for intermediates and beyond, though the runs down from the top quad can be fun.

If you look at photos, that's pretty much all of it.

Joetsu Kokusai offers more variation.

How would everyone play this out? Fill out your recommendations. If you reckon some areas are not worth a full day, split the day half and half..

1/2 day:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3: